1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frustrations Mount at Washington Post as Its Business Struggles

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Aug 30, 2022.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

When you have millions of subscribers, a decent amount.

I was going to cancel my Times subscription a few weeks back. Went to the account dashboard and everything. I wasn't using it enough to justify the $17/month.

Right before I hit "cancel" they said (paraphrased) "would you still subscribe if we dropped your rate for the next year to $1 a week?"

So I'm subscribing for another year.

dixiehack likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I believe the readership is stickier. I also found it a little telling that for the first time last quarter, they refused to break out how many of their new subscribers were for news.

FWIW, "Trump bump" sure is a lot more economical than my word soup was.

On the discounting. ... I really question things like the bundle discount and the continuous $1 /week offer. Let's say the NY Times does have a diehard core readership that is sticky. ... The thing I wonder about is if the discounts create a cliff, attracting a decidedly non-sticky readership that is just in for the discount and will bolt for something else when it is cheaper. I guess time will tell, but that is how it has gone for others who have tried that.

Also, the Times Company is profitable, but those profits are declining. There has to be pressure to cut costs (by all accounts The Athletic in particular cut into the bottom line last quarter). And the discounts can't be helping, so I wonder how much resolve there is around the strategy.

And lastly, there is what they were acknowleding on their earnings call. It's a tough environment that may be about to turn tougher. When peoples' discretionary income is under pressure, all bets are off. Will one of those digital subscriptions be the thing that is indispensible for people?

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The Times surely enjoys stories like this, getting some vengeance for the Post having Hanks and Streep starring in a movie that managed to make the WP the stars of the Pentagon Papers.

wicked and Liut like this.
  4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The New York Times has a goal of reaching 15 million electronic subscribers by 2027. They currently have a little over nine million. Will the Times hit the 2027 circulation goal? I don't know.

The Times also lost about 13 million dollars on the Athletic last quarter, which was the basically the reason that operating earnings dropped by 18%. But they still had operating profits in the quarter of 76 million dollars. Will the Times be able to eventually start turning a profit on the Athletic? I don't know.

Given the current profitably of the Times I am confident that in 2027 the newspaper will still be around and able to maintain the same level of journalistic quality they currently produce.

In the population of 1,300 daily newspapers in the United States I think there are very few papers of which that can be said.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
    sgreenwell likes this.
  5. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

This is how Sirius XM retains subscribers. They’ll make any deal to keep you. There isn’t anything short of first degree murder they wouldn’t commit to keep your business.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
    JM22720 likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If the Post had the Times food/cooking section and the Times' word games, it would be in the dominant position and publishing articles about hard times in New York for the paper of record.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I’m a newcomer to the Times’ game section. Our library offers it for free if you have a card, but you do have to click the link every couple days.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I have been on a dollar a week sub for three years. I call to cancel and they offer to extend me.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That's what I do. I renew at that rate for a year, then immediately cancel so I don't forget. Then they offer at the $1 a week rate and I renew. Same with the Athletic and WaPo.

Tarheel316 likes this.
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I don’t mind paying what I pay for the Post. $150 a year for two logins (me and the ladyfriend) and, IMO, much meatier coverage than I’ll get from the Times. I feel like it’s a bit more accessible, too.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Here is the Sally Buzbee response when asked whether democracy is at greater threat from Republicans or Democrats, fukcing trunt, LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL:

FblItIFWQAIy43l.jpeg

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I can get the gist of any Times or Post story just by watching MSNBC (Main Stream Nicks of Big Copyrights) in prime time.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted