1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

frustrated about role

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Jun 2, 2007.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

OK, so let's say I do that, more features and less game stories. Then when it comes around back to the fall and all I have room for is gamers...how do I deal with the softball/baseball/soccer/golf parents next spring when I only start running enterprising stories and not game stories and vice/versa, when football/basketball parents wonder why I don't do features on their kid.
    Don't ya love Catch-22s?

And again, our website is crap, we don't have a paid version, so putting extra stuff on-line is useless since it would be free to look at (we don't have ads on it either). How does that help the paper?

HA! Like we have the luxury. If I want something done, I gotta do it myself (and trust me, I am not creative enough). I think we are a staff in editoral/production of about nine and that's for four papers (two monthlies, a weekly and a shopper).

2. Hoopsfan23

Hoopsfan23 New Member

All I can say is run for the hills and get out as fast as you can. Nah, a bi-weekly is a good learning experience but I would stay there for two years max. I talked with a veteran at a major daily and he said that was as long as you needed to stay before you should consider moving to a daily. If you crank out good work, there's no reason why you can't work at a small daily and work your way up to the big boys if you so choose. I'm currently at a 100k daily and I'm already looking for something bigger. Just do the best job you can while your there and move on when you can.

Draft saved Draft deleted