1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frozen car. Best way to revive?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by exmediahack, Dec 10, 2009.

1. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

"Click click click" could also be the starter. I've had several fail over the years...

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

True, but usually your starter begins to act up before it goes out. I go through a starter about once every two years. It's a piss-poor design on the truck I drive — the solenoid is built into the starter (that could be another thing wrong.)

But I think in this case, the battery is the simplest explanation. You can get a good heavy-duty one at Wally World for about $50.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Thanks to all.

Battery was frozen. Took about 5 minutes on a jump to get running again. After being frozen (20 below wind chill) for 3 days, I doubt it will start in the morning - although we're back in my garage at least.

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Try jumping the battery - and check the car's battery cables that they are securely fastened to the battery.

In cold weather, that click, click, click is pretty much a given - dead battery.

[/veteran of 40 below every winter]

Edit: If it's in the garage, you'll be fine. But if you didn't let it run for a good while after starting it, I'd start it up and let it run for about a half hour or so. With the garage door OPEN.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Another thing - it's the air temp, NOT the wind chill freezing it up.

6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Listen to the lady. Windchill does not lower the temp of your battery.

If you do start you car in garage, back it out enough so the exhaust goes outside, especially if you have an attached garage, in which case back the thing out completely while it runs.

7. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Once again, I'll betcha that Rosie knows best!

(trying to earn brownie points to avoid future grounding)

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Frozen cars?!?! What the fuck?!?!?!?

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Where's Beef? He lives in Alberta and I think the HIGH for Edmonton this weekend is something like Minus 27 Celsisus or something--I think that's about Minus 20 in your funny temperature.

And it sounds like your alternator if it's going click click.

And I don't know where you live but if it's anything like Alberta or Northern Ontario, you need a block heater.

11. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Has never gotten, and will never get old.

I can't wait to see how the Vikes shit the bed this season. It's like a Christmas present Santa won't drop off till January.

Draft saved Draft deleted