1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frost/Nixon *** Spoilers ***

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Re: Frost/Nixon

I think the "put it behind us" argument has been one of the most destructive ones to self-government that we've ever had. We have constitutional and legal processes. We are big enough to let those processes play out to the bitter -- or not -- end. This is how we wound up letting the Iran-Contra crooks go so they could come back into government to commit worse crimes over the past seven years -- crimes we are now being told to ignore so we can "move forward together." It was how the Supreme Court could step in and issue a fundamentally corrupt decision in 2000. If the process had played out, the Republican House would have seated an R delegation from Florida and Bush would have been elected anyway. But the Supreme Court's integrity would have been intact. Our Constitution is for grown-ups.

2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Re: Frost/Nixon

I can see all that, but I can see the "practical" argument, too. Nixon wasn't going to go to jail, and he probably was never going to be put on trial -- they'd have worked out a plea agreement. Ford's pardon was limited to Nixon, not any of his gang, and Nixon had got all the punishment and humiliation he was going to get.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Fair enough. My quibble with the film is that it underlines the drama in a way "see? there?" fashion that's more digestible for audiences who probably don't give a shit anyway.

4. Re: Frost/Nixon

I don't know about the latter.
    My kids, who were not born during the events in question, came out fascinated by the period.
    You're probably right, but I think the movie does, at least, convey the sense of historical weight of what happened and why.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Not too unlike Apollo 13

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I came into possession of a bootleg and I'm watching it again right now. I think it's outstanding, and makes the slice of time come alive if the loud, the lazy and the stupid will allow it.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

My quibble was that the phone call never happened.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Do really need a spoiler alert on a historical film?

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

When what is being spoiled didn't actually happen, yes.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Although, every review of the film does mention the phone call...

11. Good point, although there was a helluva lot of back story to digest on this one.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Has Frost said that?

Draft saved Draft deleted