1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frost/Nixon *** Spoilers ***

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Just saw it. Fantastic. Didn't expect it to be that riveting. My favorite performances were from the guy who plays Frost and another fella who I think steals the movie. But I see the Oscar buzz surronds Langella, who I thought simply did a solid job.

I have one major problem with it, but I won't spoil.

You'll want to see it.

2. Lugnuts

Re: Frost/Nixon

Bump.

Well ?? ?? ??

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

LOL!

Oh, you're not chazp. Sorry.

Anyhoo, haven't seen it, but the trailer makes it seems compelling. The concern is that Ron Howard is the director, so I worry about overwrought. I glad I didn't see the play, cos a movie can't have just one set, so I worry about the diffusion of the main story line. And Frost would be Michael Sheen.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Haven't seen it, but Langella sounds like a Futurama-esque Nixon parody in the trailer.

5. Lugnuts

My feeling about Langella's performance was that he got the job done. He wasn't a distraction.

The guy who steals the movie is the researcher from UNC.

Sheen was great. I loved him as Tony Blair, and I loved him as Frost. He's my Oscar winner so far, but I haven't seen The Dark Knight.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Active Member

I didn't want to believe the hype about Heath Ledger in "The Dark Knight," and then I saw it. See it, Luggies, on as big a screen as possible.

I'm looking forward to seeing Frost/Nixon.

7. Lugnuts

Will do. Hopefully they'll re-release it once the Oscar noms come out.

8. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I mentioned this on the movies thread, but I generally liked it -- I thought Langella was pretty good, if over-the-top at times; I thought the other guy nailed Frost's accent (eerily, at times).

The payoff was historically accurate but, as compared to today's televised mea culpas, something of a letdown.

But it's definitely worth seeing.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

The Dark Knight is out on DVD. Sold 10 million copies at retail its first week out, along with another 3.5M to rental outlets.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ic41d147829e712a6caa53ced8ef7e1fc

And in light of the past eight years, this is the Frost/Nixon dialog that stands out to me:

David Frost: Are you really saying the President can do something illegal?
    Richard Nixon: I'm saying that when the President does it, that means it's not illegal!
    David Frost: ...I'm sorry?

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Active Member

2much, I think Lugnuts is hoping for a re-release in theaters, which would not be unprecedented in some major metropolitan areas. If it doesn't happen, she needs to watch it on a big television.

And yeah, I like that exchange too.

11. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Of course, Nixon immediately follows that with, "Now, I realize that nobody agrees with me," which rings even funnier these days.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Just came back from it.

Definite best-picture nom. Opie has built quite the catalog.

Draft saved Draft deleted