1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frontline: The Warning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Yes, but it wasn't really the willingness of the banks to loan the money. It was the recklessness of the investment banks and their like in securitizing those loans and insuring against the securitization. The idea that one could write what amounted to an insurance policy without having the means to pay a claim is hard to fathom -- and that the government allowed that thing to go on is derliction of duty.
    And I agree with Stoney on Greenspan.
    As I said, the "Matt Millen of the economy."
    I'm a freemarket capitalist, but I want people to have an easier time selling legitimate goods and services, not made-up gambling devices whose downside is to wreck entire countries.

2. slytiger

slytiger Member

If you guys have a chance pick up Bailout Nation by Barry Ritholtz. The book is probably the most in-depth piece I've read about the causes of the financial collapse.

3. mcgovern72

mcgovern72 Member

No worries.
    I'm sure Andrea Mitchell and NBC will provide the real story.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Problem with the free market is that I'm not free to throw a fraudster into a wood chipper Fargo-style.

Draft saved Draft deleted