1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Front Page Article In The Washington Post, Now With Unedited Cursing!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flying Headbutt, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Words I've never seen printed in a newspaper before, though they're quotes made in a public hearing by elected officials. But I side with the argument that it strengthens the story, even if it's not completely necessary. Good on the Post for printing them.

It's about halfway down, in this story...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/contentious-dc-council-meeting-exposes-tensions/2011/09/19/gIQACyEQjK_print.html

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

In the printed edition, the curse words were after the jump.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Happens in British newspapers all the time. I've never understood why American newspapers act like they're going to be fined by the FCC.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

At the big-city paper in town, words like "Sucks", "Crap" or derivatives there in are forbidden, lest people find them offensive -- even in quotes.

5. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

We ran "f-----" in a kid's quote and people went nuts. Except the coaches, who admitted they had said the same thing and the kid was repeating what they said. We didn't run the word, just the f and the dashes. The kid was mortified. The coaches told him to forget about it.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

They're being classy.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

When Cheney told Patrick Leahy "Go fuck yourself" on the Senate floor, the Post printed the exact quote, although it ran on A4, no A1.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A3699-2004Jun24.html

8. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Ron Jaworski now has the Post on speed-dial.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The Toronto Star and the Globe & Mail print "fuck" from quotes regularly.

Lord, it's 2011, not 1975.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, that sucks.

11. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Cut that crap out.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I've long been a lobbyist at my current (top-20 circulation) paper to change our policy and allow these words -- even fuck -- in quotes. The good people above me are hellbent on producing a "family" newspaper. "Sucks" and "crap" are not allowed.

I'm not sure there's a kid in the country reading newspapers.

Draft saved Draft deleted