1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Front page ads

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by njhutc0, Nov 7, 2006.

1. njhutc0

njhutc0 New Member

OK....This may sound like a dumb-ass question....but I gotta ask.
    I work as the sports editor of a 7,000 circulation seven-day daily in Kentucky and recently my paper started selling a full-page advertising wrap around the front of our paper. (It's a single sheet wrap that is designed to look like the front, complete with the regular banner, even though it clearly states that it is a full-page ad and that rest of the paper is inside)
    I know plenty of papers have ads on their front pages these days, but I've never heard of any other paper basically selling its entire front page!!!!! And we did it recently with a political ad!!!
    Has anyone else ever heard of a paper doing this??

2. sartrean

sartrean Member

Like I jjust posted on another thread, I think the print editions of dailies will, eventually, be nothing but ad-driven features and pics and more ads. And only the unsavviest of businesses will purchase these ads, or the businesses that have deep ad budgets, such as car dealers.

All the actual content will be on the paper's web site. That's the way I see it in the next 10 years or so.

Draft saved Draft deleted