1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From whence came you?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Driftwood, Feb 16, 2020.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Oh, lordy, that is funny.

playthrough and OscarMadison like this.
  2. BrownScribe

BrownScribe Active Member

Born in 82. All but two months of my life spent in the PNW. Heck, I've never lived more than an hour and a half away from where I was raised.

High school journalism teacher sensing I had some potential threatened to fail me if I didn't attend this journalism camp. I went, somehow got hooked, and was all in. Was on the college newspaper all four years, landed a few strong internships.

Spent seven years in journalism after college. About three years in sports, four years on the news side. A former coworker poached me away into marketing and I haven't looked back since. Still freelance occasionally to satisfy the sports writing itch.

Single again after a 3-year relationship, never married, and no kids. I am pretty content. But at times, I wish I would've at least went out of state after college for a few years.

maumann likes this.
  3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

‘84. Born in Central Florida, grew up mostly in Holmes Beach and Bradenton, probably passing maumann’s RV park on my way to school. In Central Virginia now; first round’s on me, Cosmo. Still in the journalism biz, but not exactly serving the public good anymore. Then again, my being out of daily print may be a public service unto itself, depending on whom you ask.

maumann and Tweener like this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

God lol I was a 13-year-old MTV-addicted SoCal latchkey kid bursting at the seems for the teacher in Van Halen's video ...

... and you were just being born. lol

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

LOL and some of you fuckers think that VH was better with Hagar.

Huggy likes this.
  6. drexler

drexler New Member

I was born in 1979, meaning I hit the big ol' hump last year. I was born in Rockville, Maryland, spent my formative years in greater Los Angeles, went to college in the Midwest and stuck around for a bunch of years, bouncing from local paper to regional paper and making one stop in the Northeast before picking up a college beat at a rather notable daily for a few years.

Did the layoff route, found it liberating, moved back home to the D.C. suburbs, didn't like it, got married and moved to my wife's hometown back in the Midwest. (At least, she thinks it's the Midwest.) Now I work as a marketing and copywriting consultant for a local auto group. My biggest connection to sportswriting any more is just having known so many people over the years who I became good friends with.

I'm a fairly tall guy who enjoys playing pickup basketball at the park and showing the kids who's still the boss. I have been known to sit and read for several hours, completely losing track of time. And, no kids, no dogs, three cats, no regrets.

Don't post here much, but I used to about a decade ago, got in a spat with a member, decided to go into hiding and only lurked for years. Decided once in a while I wanted to engage in conversations so I do on occasion, but I've found it better just to read. Thanks for introducing yourselves, sort of.

7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Ha. I was going to note my surprise at being the youngest so far on this thread (except possibly Wenders). Not that I figured Gen Z was overrunning this board, but I thought 35 was a little closer to par.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I was raised by the blue light of the cathode ray nipple.

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Nope.

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Just read about the strike (potential). I'm not sure if I can live without bragging to the Mrs how I got to the gas rewards first.

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The small class size, hometown to a president, and nobody leaving hit close to home.

Wenders likes this.
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Born in 1961 in the Secret City (Oak Ridge, Tenn.). No, I don't glow in the dark.
    University of Tennessee grad.
    First job: Charleston Post & Courier (3 years)
    Second job: Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel (26 years)
    Current job: McClatchy Publishing Hospice Center in Charlotte, NC (9 years)

maumann and Wenders like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted