1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From TV to the ".com" print side?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by exmediahack, Jan 1, 2010.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Hello all -- Happy New Year and thanks, in advance, for the good words after an anxiety-ridden 2009.

Some of you know that I'm plowing through work amid a public demotion. Still on the TV side and am hanging on by a thread. Our 'outlet' has a very strong .com brand as well. I'm looking at getting off the TV/broadcast side and going straight to the .com, within the company, as a position just opened.

If nothing else, I see this as a chance to pick up more skills (HTML, CSS, graphical design) to enhance my writing and journalism. (okay, my writing and computer skills -- I'm ready to leave journalism soon!). Even at what could be a sharp pay cut, I would strongly consider it. I mostly am intrigued because I am not making any career progress right now as a news reporter. Five years from now, what I do everyday in 2009/2010 will not help me land the 'next' career. Maybe this could build that proverbial 'skill set'.

Anyone else make the jump from traditional 'reporting' to more of an online presence? Any thoughts? Thanks and I appreciate your input.

- ex

Draft saved Draft deleted