1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From those who brought you the Iraq War, just hand over the blank check

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Magic In The Night, Sep 23, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'm not saying I believe it to be true, right now.

I'm just saying ... if even the idea of that still surprises you, at this point, you've got a lot less cynicism about this administration than I do.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I've long since learned to not let any conspiracy theory ideas surprise me, for many reasons.

3. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

That's the thing: Once you lie about one war, what's to stop you from lying about another? I'm not saying it's a lock that's what they'll do with the money but if there's no question that it's all going to bail out Wall Street, then why do you need the clause in there saying there'll be no oversight, even by the courts? This administration has done nothing to engender trust from anyone. And although I enjoyed the rewriting of Badlands, know this, blind faith in your leaders, or in anything, will get you killed.

4. Piotr Rasputin

And giving creedence to every conspiracy theory is much better?

5. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I'm not giving credence to it. I'm saying if you don't want people to think you're a liar, don't lie. And if you want people to trust you, then don't claim to be above any oversight.

6. Piotr Rasputin

On that, we agree.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Dear American:

I need to ask you to support an urgent secret business relationship with a transfer of funds of great magnitude.

I am Ministry of the Treasury of the Republic of America. My country has had crisis that has caused the need for large transfer of funds of 800 billion dollars US. If you would assist me in this transfer, it would be most profitable to you.

I am working with Mr. Phil Gram, lobbyist for UBS, who will be my replacement as Ministry of the Treasury in January. As a Senator, you may know him as the leader of the American banking deregulation movement in the 1990s. This transaction is 100% safe.

This is a matter of great urgency. We need a blank check. We need the funds as quickly as possible. We cannot directly transfer these funds in the names of our close friends because we are constantly under surveillance. My family lawyer advised me that I should look for a reliable and trustworthy person who will act as a next of kin so the funds can be transferred.

Please reply with all of your bank account, IRA and college fund account numbers and those of your children and grandchildren to wallstreetbailout@treasury.gov so that we may transfer your commission for this transaction. After I receive that information, I will respond with detailed information about safeguards that will be used to protect the funds.

Yours Faithfully Minister of Treasury
    Henry Paulson

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

We have a winner here. Bravo!

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Hell of an idea there. Just remember, it's not as easy as it looks.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You know what's weird about this Wall Street mess, I haven't seen a lot of CEOs on TV saying they are committed to doing whatever it takes to set things straight. In the days following 9/11 thousands of young people put their lives aside and enlisted in the military, in the last week's financial turmoil we still hear talk about whether or not CEOs should have their compensation reduced. Where are the patriots on Wall Street? Why haven't the Jack Welchs and other retired CEOs announced their desire to help? A hurricane strikes and volunteers line up to help, a financial meltdown occurs and Wall Street is taking a pass.

12. jack welch already did one giveback. heaven forbid he give back again.

Draft saved Draft deleted