1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From those who brought you the Iraq War, just hand over the blank check

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Magic In The Night, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

It's fairly easy math if you take into account that there are about 3,434 people in the United States.

More than half of them are virgins.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Math? Math? Don't worry about the numbers, just roll with it. Just roll with it.
    It depends on the number of households, and I've gotten some different numbers after doing some digging. But to get there, you have to eliminate every household making more than $200,000 and those with less than $1 million in personal assets. So my first post was wildly wrong to say every household.
    Like my boss says, you have three kinds of journalists, the ones good with numbers and the ones who aren't.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

So, if I have this right, Paulie wants complete discretion to bail out Wall Street. He decides how and where the trillion dollars goes. Wow.

You're doing a heck of a job, Bushie.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

[​IMG]

I can haz 700 beeyon, plz?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

No way are they getting this package with no strings attached. The ranking Republican on the house Senate (stupid Loritab) committee has already called bullshit.

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/the-home-front/2008/09/23/shelby-bailout-just-codifies-ad-hoc-approach.html

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That's good stuff.

I am waiting for the administration to give color-coded warnings for the financial situation.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I have little patience for those who say this sucks, but have nothing else to offer. Of course it sucks. The one question I haven't seen answered yet is why can't we by shares in the banks instead of buying their crappy loans.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Guy, I could not agree more. Equity is the answer here. It is interesting how, in both public opinion polls (no links, sorry) and in the political arena, this is not a partisan deal. Skepticism runs high among all segments of political opinion-and of course it should.
    My personal belief is that since it's TRULY insane to give $700 billion to someone whose identity you don't know, which is what the Secretary of the Treasury come Jan. 20, 2009 is, the best thing would be to give, with stringent conditions, the Treasury $100 billion or so as a pilot program, allowing the new President, whomever that will be, to assess the situation and make his own mistakes.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Lights out in your head
    Trouble in the brainland
    Got a head-on collision
    Smashing sense of reality
    Caught in conspiracies
    That no one understands

Honestly. You can't seriously believe this? I mean, yeah, this Administration has proven to be real bottom-feeders . . . but this is way out of left field, don't you think?

Of course, that all said . . . . great to see Congress asking the tough questions and making sure this blank check doesn't get passed.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Now 26 Wall Street companies are being investigated by the FBI for FRAUD!

In the words of JayFarrar ... WHEEEEE!

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It's a gapper, all right. Extra bases.

But it ain't out of the park.

This administration lied to go to war. War that wasn't a last resort. War that wasn't necessary. Say what you want about the politics of it, but that's the most heinous* crime I can think of, on that scale (*non-genocide division).

Damn right I can believe they'd lie to go to war again. And I can also believe they'd be devious enough to use a different excuse to get their money this time. They don't deserve a dime.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Well, count me out of the conspiracy theories, then.

Knowing something about this proposed bailout, I definitely think Congress needs to tear it up and start again. But it's a major logical leap for me to think they seek these funds to finance another war, especially at this late date in their power.

I think Mahmoud of the Shire's visit has given everyone the willies.

Draft saved Draft deleted