1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

from the WWL: The failure dynasties

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by budcrew08, May 2, 2008.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Expos in the playoffs, period, might have helped save baseball in Montreal.

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

KC had either just completed, or was in the midst of a 14-game winning streak when the 94 strike hit, led by Bob Hamelin. I remember being in scout camp and huddling around the paper every morning following the streak.

But mostly the Royals got what they deserved. There are ways to win without throwing millions around, but KC never figured out how.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I really thought it would be a Royals-Expos World Series that year, too, bizarre as it sounds now.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Dude, you're such a frackin' fanboy.

(flees in fear of his life)

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Damn straight.

(Besides, you know I'm right. :D)

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Hey man, those 58-54 Dodgers were ready to take it all the way!

To the first round of the playoffs. Damn rudderless, leaderless 1990s Dodgers.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The '94 Yankees were looking pretty good that year too. I remember being bummed that the strike canceled their chance at the playoffs. Of course, I later got very spoiled.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

No, but I've said, "Three, please," because Jason Kendall is that good. I don't even have a second friend. I just want some place to rest my nachos, so I can give Kendall a standing ovation without spilling my snacks when he comes up to the plate.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Seriously doubt it.
    Montreal never really was much of a consistent baseball town -- the fans continued to show that time and time again. One season in the playoffs wasn't going to change that.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Expos drew over 2 million for 4 out of 5 seasons from 1979-83. Baseball could have made it there if not for an ownership determined to snuff the city as a major league market.

The "failure dynasties" have one thing in common: Motherfucking bloodsucking-leech ownership.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Not true.

Look at their attendance in the 80s, they were among the top draws in the NL. They were fine until the strike and their subseuqent mismanagement.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

A playoff run in '94 probably would have gone a long way to getting a new stadium in Montreal and that would have been a huge step in turning things around there.

Montreal had been a great baseball town long before the Expos got there.

Draft saved Draft deleted