1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From the 'what the hell were your parents thinking?' category

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Jun 13, 2007.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Typing up youth results and run across this doozy of a name:

Chikewendy

I kid you not. That's how the people who turned in these softball results have the name spelled.

This kid is probably only 5 or 6 years old or something, but I can already see her name being misspelled every damn time it appears in our paper in the future.

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

Two words:

Ima Hogg

or from the episode of Scrubs last night;

Jan Itor

3. KYSportsWriter

UPDATE

Kid's name is spelled two different ways in the results: Chikwanda

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Oh, well that's much better.

I had a JCody the other day.

5. KYSportsWriter

Where the hell do parents get these names?

6. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

There was this lady in our town who gave birth to twins, but decided to put them up for adoption. One was adopted by a middle eastern family and named Amal. The other went to Spain, where his parents named him Juan.

Well, anyway, Juan got curious about his birth family, tracked down his parents and sent the lady a picture of him, along with a letter detailing his life. The woman was very pleased, but in almost an instant, she was very said.

By that time, the mother was married. Her husband asked her "What is so startling?" She replied "I wish we had a picture of Amal." His response, "They're twins! Once you've seen Juan, you've seen Amal."

Hahahahahahahahaha.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I went to college with a guy named Dick Cummings.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I worked with a guy named Harry Boner.

If you pronounced it Bahn-er, he would correct you. "It's Boner. Harry Boner."

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Copy desk guy: Jack Schicht.
    No kidding.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

In this case, looks like a tribute to fast food--combination of Chik-Fil-A and Wendy's

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I've posted this before, but when my wife was in med school she was in the hospital when a woman who spoke very little English gave birth and named the baby Shi'thead, pronounced Sha-teed. The hospital staff tried to explain to her why this might not be a good idea if she was going to live in the U.S., but she was dead set on it.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Worked with a woman with the last name of Horstick.

Draft saved Draft deleted