1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From the spank-bank time machine: Weird Science getting a reboot

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Absolutely spot on about how good the bit players are. I might go as far as to say it is John Cusack's best role, and I like John Cusack in a lot of movies where he had much bigger parts. If I had the musical talent needed to start a band I'd call it Real Smooth, Cliff.

After reading this thread I have the urge to watch both Sixteen Candles and The Breakfast Club, which I think holds up pretty damn well.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

See, I think a lot of people my age (late 30s-early 40s) want The Breakfast Club to be maintain relevance because they loved it so much when they were of that age. They don't want to haul down one of the pillars of their youth.

But in the harsh light, I just don't think it does hold up. The truth is that a lot of it is pretty silly in retrospect. Some of the characters are kind of whiny bitches too. Now that I'm older, frankly, maybe a couple of them really do deserve a kick in the ass. :D

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I can agree with you about some of the characters maybe needing an ass kicking. I think I was probably laughing at Judd Nelson rather than laughing with him more than originally intended, but it doesn't make the movie less enjoyable for me. I'm about a decade younger than you so it wasn't quite the same experience for me, but I know what you are talking about. The American Pie movies are that way for me. The first one came out the summer after I graduated high school and the sequel was when I was home from college, so a lot of it hit home at the time. But I watched the first one a while back and thought to myself it really wasn't that good.

4. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

I can always watch The Breakfast Club and Pretty in Pink. Haven't seen Weird Science in years, but, damn, love that one.

And, yeah, Sixteen Candles is brilliant.

5. Chips, dips, chains and whips.
    Versatile, Some Kind of Wonderful waaaaay to low on that list IMO. Arguably most underrated 80s teen movie around.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You cannot be King of the Dipshits if you have never seen Sixteen Candles.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

On the flip side, watching Sixteen Candles in 2013 won't have the same pop cultural impact.

The whole panties for floppy disk thing was a moment in time. "Floppy disk" might not be funny in 2013 the way it was 29 years ago.

Jesus, 29 years ago ...

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The ending was pure schlock, even more than Pretty in Pink.

9. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I would like to rank Martin Scorsese movies. But I haven't seen Raging Bull.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I assume you've never commented on any piece of pop culture because you haven't seen, heard or read every great one.

Anyway, I bought Sixteen Candles on Amazon while doing my Record Store Day shopping.

11. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I just felt like busting your balls. The opportunity so rarely presents itself, since I didn't care about POY voting.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Bubbler did it better. That's why he's an all-SportsJournalists.com first-teamer.

Draft saved Draft deleted