1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From The Publisher in Palm Beach

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 2, 2008.

1. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Amen to that, truer words have never been spoken.

The best way to revamp the newspaper industry is to chop the heads off (publishers) and start over with people that aren't corporate drones. There are way to many publishers who subscribe to the principal that cutting jobs will increase revenue, problem is that is only true in the short term, sure the first rounds of cuts/buyouts weren't so bad, most of the majors were just trimming the excess fat and getting rid of positions that were just glutonous anyway (who really needs 3 TV critics?). But now, they are cutting positions that matter and often replacing them with freelancers who are either unqualified or don't know what they are doing. A shitty product will only result in reduced subscriptions, which will mean more layoffs, consider the industry in a tailspin until someone with an office figures this out!

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Another number: 52.3 million.
    That's the number of daily newspapers sold in the United States.
    So one out of every six people are buying papers. In terms of households, there's about 100 million, so one out of every two homes are buying papers.

Also, from the World Association of Newspapers.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

I still don't know what “drinking from the fire hose” means.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think it's a john holmes metaphor.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I love the way these people think. People aren't eating as many hamburgers, so let's get rid of the Angus beef and put some dog shit on a bun. In the long run, people will come running back to our stand to devour those turds, and our business will prosper! I mean, everyone else is putting shit on a bun, right? Soon enough, that's all the people will know!

Michael Gee was right. It's mismanagement. We have a product that people want as much as ever. We're just not getting it to them the right way.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i respectfully disagree. we're like the old mom and pop hamburger joints that used to be so damned good. people loved us, but they can't wait for us to make it fresh any longer. they are in too big of a hurry so they eat the same tired shit at burger king ... it's faster and they simply don't believe they have 10 minutes to give.

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

But we can use our writing and news-breaking skills to do what web-only shops do ... and do it better.

Why not? Why can't we give the people what they want?

Mismanagement, that's why.

8. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

The part in bold is what the beancounters care about the most. The long-term ramifications are a problem for another day, if not another person as well.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We can.

Just cannot do it PROFITABLY.

$65,000+ full-page ads just do not translate to web.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yup.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/05/business/media/05idg.html?pagewanted=1&_r=3&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I don't know how John would ever get involved in a John Holmes metaphor...

Draft saved Draft deleted