1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From The Publisher in Palm Beach

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 2, 2008.

1. I have no idea what this means, but we were told by our publisher that our penetration rate is around 35-40 percent, and he considered that very good. He said that compared well with the industry.
    But, again, no idea if he was spewing BS or what. Up until then the only times I'd heard anything like "penetration rate" I was on a NSFW site ;D.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That's the bullshit they're using now to sell combo ads. Yeah, our circulation blows chunks but look at our penetration. They're all over the Web.
    I don't give a shit if they are, you need to reach more than half your households (I assume that's what they measure).
    When I delivered The Washington Post as a kid, I swear 90 percent of the houses got the paper. Now, NO ONE on my street gets the paper.
    Still, 50 percent?

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Wow, a new generation of publishers proves to be huge dicks.

"Not only am I going to cut jobs, but I'm going to use a Wierd Al Yankovic movie reference to soften the blow."

Someone hook up a fire hose to that dude's ass.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Remember, that's 50 percent penetration in a competitive market. There's a decent-size paper in the county to the north and two larger papers in the counties to the south.

5. scalper

scalper Member

Soft real estate market or no, you know some agent got a sweet commission off the big-ass house this new publisher must have bought. Give him the garden hose, too.

6. derwood

derwood Active Member

That's great. Average is around 30%...

7. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

I went to get something off a printer in our main newsroom a couple weeks ago (sports is in our own separate room/cage, with our own printer), and it came out on resume paper.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Newspapers still have a larger market penetration than any other medium. It's not close.
    Consider a few stats.
    Most popular show on cable television news, Bill O'Reilly, has an audience of 2 million. That's out of more than 200 million people who have cable.
    All three network evening news shows have combined audience of over 20 million. That's out of nation of 300 million.
    Both of those are free. Require no more effort than using remote.
    PAID circulation of dying second newspaper Boston Herald is 170,000 in metro area of 3 million. That's not readership or households, that's copies sold.
    Mismanagement is killing this industry, not competition.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Big words = little guys are fucked...

10. Mediator

Mediator Member

He says the company is getting "smaller." But you guys are always jumping to conclusions. It might not mean cutting jobs. He might mean taking away square footage from the building.

Or hiring shorter people.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm hired!

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

Paging Sportschick ...

Draft saved Draft deleted