1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From the new MMQB

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tiger16, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Nor should you.

Just doing what any good father would do.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Slappy, possibly the most clever line I have read on this message board.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

My favorite of the comments:

Delerious Ramblings Caused By A Gravy-Induced Stroke

4. Back to the original point...do we think that Mary Beth is going to have conversations with anyone at Seahawks' HQ that the goddamn pater familias couldn't just pick up the phone and have himself?

Depends on how good the popcorn is in Seattle, though.

5. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

This really is the root of his problem -- it isn't that he doesn't have decent insights or ideas, I think he often does, but as a blogger, he comes off like a guy with his pants waistband pulled up around his chest, wearing white socks with sandals. He's got a little Michael Scott in him -- maybe we all do, but Peter more than most ... he's always just seen, like, "Forrest Gump" or something for the first time and wants to talk about it, under the assumption that other people are just "discovering" this as well.
    As I get older, I always try to be conscious of the fact that I am really not cool anymore. I don't even need my 19-year-old son to tell me this, though he's more than happy to perform that function. With Peter, I kind of think he's just oblivious to how clueless he really is. It's like he thinks "Starbucks" is a happenin' place, hey!
    Of course, I'm really glad that I'm not famous enough for those "Kissing Suzy Kolber" whippersnappers to jump on my aged ass ...

6. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Number 4 especially here in Seattle

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

AAAAAAAAAAAAmmennnnnn

How did this happen where you NEED an internship, especially with newspapers, where it will most likely lead to a low-paying job anyway? I think corporate American is pulling a scam on people over the last 15 years.

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

As for Mary Beth...

OK, maybe she didn't tell her father. I suppose if you couldn't use your mother's maiden name because that would be lying on your application.

But she should have tried to apply for an internship in another sport. Showed some ethics and a willingness to try to do things on her own.

9. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

I'm sorry in a corporate world (it's not just newspapers) that is completely cutthroat and exploits internships for all they're worth, I can't fault any recent grad to use every (legal) advantage at his or her disposal.

Draft saved Draft deleted