1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From the new MMQB

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tiger16, Jul 21, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Is that a paper in the Midwest in a city where the Mayor is under fire and things look Grimm?

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Good for her. Anyone who thinks her dad, or at least his reputation, didn't directly or indirectly help her out is a little naive IMO.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

There, too, eh? Mine was a different joint.

4. Guess that settles it, then. Holmgren = Brown. :)

Oh, Paul Brown only invented like eleventymillion things that we take for granted in the NFL today, so there's that. And I don't know that he whined about officiating quite as much.

5. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

I have to disagree with much of what is said here. I can't speak to what happened for King's daughter, but to say young people need to be rich to get their foot in the door is a sweeping generalization.

Parental connections help, but it is certainly possible to make your own inroads. I don't come from a wealthy family at all. At one point, I worked four jobs while in school. For me, I got an internship (that turned into my first full-time job) because of a strong impression I had made on my future boss a couple years earlier. I worked at my school paper, and he was in the Sports Information office, but he left during my sophomore year. We hadn't been in contact for two years, but he tracked me down and said he was looking for an intern for a year.

The cost factor can also be figured out as well, if you want something bad enough. After graduation, my wife (from Pittsburgh, school in Rhode Island) took an internship in Chicago that paid a very small stipend. To make it work, she took on other part-time jobs and worked out a boarding situation with an older couple where she took care of certain things around their home. Her mother couldn't pay her way, but she made it work.

I also know plenty of people who up and left for the west coast without anything lined up, and very little money saved. They wanted the adventure and figured things out along the way.

There are always going to be people who get opportunities because of who they are related to. That happens in all walks of life. Despite that, it is possible for those of us less fortunate to make our own way.

6. bob

bob Member

I used my influence to get my son some interviews, an internship and eventually a (low-paying) fullt-time PR job. I don't apologize for that.

7. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Peter's unfamiliarity with basic technology, not to mention current trends, astounds me:

“Inside, Hasselbeck has been using one of the neatest inventions in rehab history -- a real, honest-to-goodness underwater treadmill -- to stay in shape while resting and strengthening his back. "I weigh 235,'' he said, "but when I'm running on the underwater treadmill, my body's 135. It takes so much pressure off the back.''
    An underwater treadmill. What will they think of next?”

The underwater treadmill has been around for god knows how many years. Second, wasn’t Dennis Dixon pictured in SI in April running on an underwater treadmill?! Didn’t SI run a feature on Carson Palmer rehabbing in 2006, also using one?

That's why Kissing Suzy Kolber loves him. He's the gift that keeps on giving.

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2008/07/peter-king-wants-you-to-make-his-column-even-longer-and-more-pointless.html

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Given what the Sulzbergers and the Ridders and the Bucks and the Careys and the Russerts and countless others in the media business do, when it comes to nepotism, this is pretty small potatoes. I find it hard to believe that Peter King would pull a punch at the Seahawks because his daughter works there, just as I find it hard to believe he will suddenly double his volume of Seahawks related items in his NFL coverage.

That said, I still identify with the kids whose parents and relatives have no connections, no PC appeal and little spare cash. The deck tends to stay stacked against them.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Plus Brown essentially dominated a whole league to the point that the league went out of business, and coached an expansion team.

But hey, Holmgren's just as good. :)

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Outstanding. Read the comments too.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Just because he didn't make a call didn't mean he didn't have anything to do with her getting hired.

I don't have a problem with it. What are we supposed to do, prevent Mary Beth from working anywhere near sports?

I actually agree that Holmgren is highly underrated as a coach. He built two teams and took them both to Super Bowls. While Favre didn't exactly suck after Holmgren left, he was never close to being the same player he was when Holmgren was there.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This is hysterical...

Well, we at KSK couldn’t resist such an invitation. Peter, we think you need to add these features RIGHT FUCKING NOW!

Ask My Brother Biff

Who Ass Am I Smoochin’ This Week?

Current GPS Location Of My Daughter

Another Wonderful Thing About Colgate!

Thing I Swallowed Whole

Stop Me Before I Mingle Again!

My Pity Blowjob Of The Week

Things In Brett Favre’s Garbage

Unexpected Thing I Found In My Stool

Another Brilliant Insight From Tiki Barber

Miscellaneous Douchebaggery

Starbucks-Approved Liberal Viewpoint Of The Week

Movie I Saw Recently That You Saw Seven Years Ago

Gratuitous Praise For “House”

What Is Wrong With People Who Aren’t Me?

Another Reason Why I Love Sugarless Gum

Thing I Got To Do That You Are Too Poor To Do

Hysterical Thing Frank Caliendo Did

This Week’s Opinion I Formed After Reading Newsweek

Edgy U2 Song I Like!

Safe Word Of The Day

Thing I Saw That I Couldn’t Believe

Uninformed Baseball Opinion

Draft saved Draft deleted