1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From the "It could only happen to the Royals" category...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doubledown68, Feb 23, 2010.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Is that one old man who sold beer and lemonade still around? He'd sing Elvis songs, and occasionally yell out (back in the 1980s 1990s mind you): "COME ON YOU GUYS! BUY THIS SHIT!"

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

T-shirt guns are no joke. That's how Maud Flanders died.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Usually one gets a pearl necklace before getting a wiener in the eye

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Shit. Why didn't I think of that?

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm actually surprised injuries from this sort of thing don't happen more often. I've seen people crashing into each other and fights nearly breaking out over a $5 T-shirt that was shot into the crowd.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Hot dogs don't kill/harm people. Hot dog air guns kill/harm people.

On 2nd thought, maybe hot dogs do kill/harm people....

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

So, does the same clause, usually on the ticket somewhere, that covers getting hit by a foul ball or homerun also cover flying t-shirts and hotdogs?

8. doubledown68

It wasn't the air gun. WAS NOT. It was on a behind-the-back throw. Apparently Slugerrr doesn't have Magic's handle.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

when hot dog cannons are outlawed ...

10. billikens

billikens Member

Exactly. The gun was put away at this point, and Slugerrr was just tossing hot dogs into the crowd. How a behind-the-back toss ends up nearly blinding a guy, I don't know.

But Posnanski's column pretty much sums up anything I'd want to say about the incident. Just WTF.

11. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

At least the AP story gave me a new and original name for my fantasy baseball team: Sluggerr's Wayward Weiners.

12. doubledown68

I was at said game where Kerry Robinson jumped over the wall on the ball that landed in front of him. Bright day at new Comiskey.

He fooled everybody, though. I thought someone threw another ball onto the field. The guy who hit the ball thought it was a homer. Ozzie argued with the umpires for a while. I don't think Buddy Bell came out of the dugout, which was the right thing to do. Otherwise, you'd have to admit that the person you put in centerfield misjudged a fly ball by a good 20 feet or so.

Draft saved Draft deleted