1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From riches to rags

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Mar 28, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

This has to hurt both the ego and the pocket book.

Steinbrenner’s daughter files divorce papers

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — George Steinbrenner’s daughter filed divorce papers this week against husband Steve Swindal, a move that appears to end his chance to take over as head of the New York Yankees.
    “I’m the Boss. I continue to be the Boss,” Steinbrenner said Wednesday in a statement issued by spokesman Howard Rubenstein. “I have no intention of retiring, and my family runs the Yankees with me.”
    In June 2005, Steinbrenner said Swindal eventually would succeed him as head of the Yankees. Swindal currently is a Yankees general partner and chairman of Yankee Global Enterprises LLC.
    Jennifer Swindal filed the papers Tuesday in Hillsborough County Circuit Court’s family law department, Rubenstein said, adding that the papers cited “irreconcilable differences.”
    “Steve and Jenny Swindal announced today that they are amicably ending their marriage of 23 years,” Rubenstein said in a statement. “Although their marriage is dissolving, they remain friends and maintain a strong mutual respect. They are devoted to their two children and will make them their shared focus.”
    Reached by telephone, Swindal said he didn’t want to comment beyond the statement or address his role with the team.
    Swindal was arrested by St. Petersburg police at about 4:30 a.m. on Feb. 15 and charged with driving under the influence, a misdemeanor.
    Swindal said the week following the arrest he felt embarrassed, and when asked whether his status with the team would change, Swindal responded: “Hopefully, not.” Asked whether he still viewed himself as Steinbrenner’s successor, Swindal replied: “I can’t answer that other than it would be speculation.” Asked whether Steinbrenner supported him, Swindal said: “He’s been a great father-in-law and supportive. he supports me. I don’t feel anything but a guy who is looking out after me and supports me.”
    Steinbrenner, who has hardly spoken publicly during spring training, didn’t reply to questions as he walked past reporters before Wednesday night’s 12-2 exhibition loss to Houston.
    Swindal pleaded not guilty on March 15, and a pretrial hearing is scheduled for April 5 at South County Traffic Court in St. Petersburg.
    Swindal, who is 52, was weaving and driving 61 mph in a 35 mph zone when he was pulled over, police spokesman Bill Proffitt said shortly after the arrest.
    Steinbrenner has four children. Son Harold Steinbrenner is executive vice president and treasurer of Yankee Global Enterprises LLC and Hank Steinbrenner is a senior vice president of the team. Felix Lopez, married to daughter Jessica Steinbrenner, is a team senior vice president.
    Jessica Steinbrenner, along with Lopez, were among a group of people with Steinbrenner in the Legends Field dining room.
    Swindal also heads a group competing for the franchise to operate thoroughbred racing in New York.

Draft saved Draft deleted