1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From my phone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Please, 93, soccer on TV is great. I'm watching Champions League on ESPN2 right now. No commercials, constant action.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If your talking the Premiership, then yes, it is good on tv. I'm talking high school or college in the good old USA.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Yes Flash, all for football. And, in my thread, we will call it football, not soccer, from here on out

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

One more thing, a 1-nil football match is easier to write than a 50 point blowout in American football

5. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

He'll miss my house, dammit. ;D

6. 93Devil

I'm guessing you played football when you were young. I never did. It's one of the few sports I did not, and when I tried as an adult, I was awful. I mean awful. And I am a certified football ref, and it is still hard to write about a match because I cannot place myself in the cleats of the player.

That might explain the difficulty writing about the sport.

7. 93Devil

The only way he is going to Indiana from Illinois through Kansas is if Otto was driving.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Never played footie. Im a ref too. Been meaning to get into an adult league, but it sneaks up on me. Still 1-nil is as easy as it comes

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Naw ... we'll call it kicky-ball.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I still say the proper SportsJournalists.com style is "looser fanboy"

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

It's soccer. It's patently unwatchable. OK, I take that back. I like to listen to Tommy Smyth warble on for exactly three minutes, all while making Lucky Charms jokes to myself. But after three minutes, it goes back to being unwatchable.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Once you feel the tempo of the match and realize it's going to be a low-scoring, tight game, that's when you start paying closer and closer attention and digging into strategies and trends. I think 1-0 and 0-0 games are easy to write, as are the higher-scoring games. Soccer -- rather, football -- is just easy for me, I suppose.

Draft saved Draft deleted