1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From my inbox

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by pressboxer, Jul 21, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

From my inbox:

A local U-10 and U-12 soccer team competed in the Bluegrass State Games, aka the Overrated/Don't Have To Qualify/Pay Money and Get a Medal games, and placed first and second in their respective divisions.

This is the e-mail I got from one of the "coaches."

Here is the story on the U-12 Dragons. Hopefully, you can make this a front page story (In color would be nice). Thanks, once again. If you have any questions, please call me.

And from the same lady:
    Here is the story on the U-10 Gators. Please consider making this a front page story in color. These boys earned it!! Please call me if you have any questions.

Um, lady, "these boys" didn't earn shit.

2. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

Hey, the person who sent you this might have used some language that makes us cringe a bit but ultra-marathoners make great copy.

Why mock somebody who has sent you a legitimately good story idea? Do you feel like you're above it?

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

It doesn't hurt to do the story, but if the photos are crappy, they shouldn't run. If that upsets the person who submits them, that's too bad.

4. Sam Craig

Sam Craig Member

What's funny is that I've receive submissions where it sounded like the person who sent me the information was looking for a big story. They were only worth a brief, sometimes as long as maybe 5 inches and instead of complaining, they were thrilled to get the 5-inches of coverage. Sometimes size doesn't matter.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Also known as the "We Can't Just E-mail The Results Even Though We Can Break All That Stuff Down And Snail-mail It To You" Games.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I got an e-mail Monday kind of like that.

The reader's Precious Baby played in a U-8 coach-pitch softball tournament in town, and mommy was upset there wasn't anything in our newspaper about it since it was a "NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP."

If I had $1 for every alleged national championship softball tournament held in the USA, I'd buy everybody on this board beer for the year.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

That's what she said.

Draft saved Draft deleted