1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From my inbox

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by pressboxer, Jul 21, 2008.

1. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Waiting for me when I got to the office today was an e-mail with a couple of crappy phots attached and a little note that contained the following line:

A group of locals participate in an event that included a 25K run and a 50K run. Not to belittle their accomplishments (I certainly won't ever run that far), but I have a feeling someone's going to be sorely disappointed. The powers that be already decreed a brief is befitting enough.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

And, depending on the size of the paper, they have decreed correctly, obviously.

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

But is it an eye catching brief?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You're gonna need a bigger brief.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

So what's the problem? People submit stuff all the time thinking it should be a headline. You use your judgment on what it's worth.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Do you write stories on your locals who run in marathons? Cuz 50K is longer than a marathon. Why not write a story on these people?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. You could just brief this race but maybe look at doing a feature on this group of foot-pounding locals.

8. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

It sounds like it could be a cool feature. Is distance running big in your area? That could tie in as well.

9. Overrated

Overrated Guest

So, does that mean they work HARDER than marathon runners?

10. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Nah, probably just as hard, though.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

They don't work harder -- just longer.

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

We all have our egos to contend with here -- "I'm not going to do a story because someone said I should. Then they'll think I did it because of them."
    Only problem with that is there are some coincidental times when they can be turned into really good stories. Don't discount it just because it came from outside the newsroom.
    As someone else said, take it on a story by story basis, and see what it is worth, if anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted