1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From MLB prospect to Priesthood

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cubbiebum, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

A few years ago Grant Desme was one of the boys in the Oakland A's farm system. He gave it up to become a Priest. The story embellishes a bit. It talks as if he was on the verge of being called up when in reality he dominated A-Ball as a 23-year old. Still, while it is Yahoo Sports, the article provides a lot of depth and detail to an interesting story.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/from-prospect-to-priest--grant-desme-leaves-the-a-s--becomes-a-monk-and-tries-to-find-his-peace.html

Even though he gave up being one of the boys he'll still get plenty of time to play with boys ... I kid, I kid

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Traded to the Padres

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't understand the bolded sentence. I thought Yahoo had a good reputation for this kind of reporting, no?

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Top notch!

5. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

They've upgraded a lot lately but a lot of their sports stuff is very bloggish. At least to me that is.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Passan is probably the best baseball writer in the country, or at least easily in the upper echelon. Adding that clause to your original post does not shine favorably on you.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Tim Brown's solid, too. Wojnarowski on the NBA, Cole on the NFL, Forde on college football/basketball.

Dan Wetzel is absolutely the best sports columnist in the country right now, on any platform.

Seriously, Yahoo is top-notch in just about every way.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This was no quick-hitter blog though. It had the potential to be a one-source wonder, or just touch the surface but went way beyond that. Well-researched and well-written.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I read this earlier today. Six thousand words, and it reads like less (though not much less ... holy crap was that long).

I say this as a devoutly anti-religion person: That was awesome.

10. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Right, and I said that. Most of the stuff I see on Yahoo sports is generally very TMZ like but I don't tend to read them a whole lot. Most of what I see is stuff that catches my eye while going to check my fantasy team. Maybe they are very credible and I am just seeing a lot of the sensationalized crap. When it comes to national writers I'll side with you guys. I have never been one to pay attention to the author. I read stories for the story and always have. That is not to say I am right and you are wrong.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Did you know there are 108 beads on a rosary and 108 stitches on a baseball?

12. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

The redesigned front page has pushed almost all of their staff stories lower than they probably should be, and there are typically only four links to staff stories on the front now at any time. Just have to know where to look, though. This page helps: http://sports.yahoo.com/top/expertscorner.

Draft saved Draft deleted