1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From DMN to NYC

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GuessWho, Jun 3, 2007.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

This might be old news, but I hear Rachel Cohen's left Dallas for AP's New York bureau. A good move?

2. accguy

accguy Member

Don't know where Rachel grew up, but she did attend Duke and seems pretty sharp.

I know the DMN isn't exactly a picnic these days. And College Station isn't exactly nirvana.

As is my constant refrain, I hope she can find a gig that provides a good balance between interesting and challenging work and the ability to have something of a personal life.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It moves her closer to family.

4. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

What is she doing there?

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I believe Juliet Macur made the same move.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yes, to the New York Times, not AP.

AP was looking for a sports reporter on the national desk, so perhaps it's filling that position.

But sports reporters in New York AP also work the desk.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I'm pretty sure Rachel went to work for the AP. At least, I had dinner with one of her (former) co-workers two nights ago, and that's what he said. Guess he could have been wrong.

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

I read that DMN circulation was down 14 percent (some of that from the overstatement) so yeah, I would say it probably is a good move.

9. boots

boots New Member

Any move out of Dallas is good.

10. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

The Morning News is certainly a shell of its former self, but it's still better than a lot of other places. All relative, I guess.

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

Perhaps, but if you were looking ahead what would you say the trend would be?

12. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

If you subscribe to the newspapers-are-dying trend, I agree totally. But if newspapers are going to stick around in some form and if the DMN has bottomed out and doesn't get worse, then I think you could argue there are worse places you could be. I realize those are two huge "ifs," however.

Draft saved Draft deleted