1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From Detroit

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Apparently, enough are taking the buyouts so there won't be layoffs. That's good news. Anyway, this was sent to The Pipeline:

"I don't know if I mentioned it, but we had buyouts at the News/Freep/Media Partnership. They were looking for 150 and 116 took them, including 11 from the News and 18 from the Freep. They decided the other day that they will not need to have layoffs to make up the difference, thank goodness. There were three major departures from the Sports department so things are about to change significantly there. Mike O'Hara and Vartan Kupelian (golf) are taking the buyout. O'Hara has been there since 1966 and I think Vartan has been there maybe longer. Fred Girard also took it. So with the Lions beat opening after about 100 years, they're going to switch things up. Everyone in sports is getting the news Monday. [...]

" .. the Tigers and Michigan won't change. Everything else is going to. Golf won't be replaced as they had already decided not to travel anymore for the majors."

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The impressive thing is that they're not laying off to make up the difference.

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Just heard about O'Hara today. He's been on the Lions at least 30 years.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Vart has been one of the state's top writers on golf forever and someone highly respected on all fronts. I'm assuming he'll cover that little thing called the PGA Championship that's in his backyard in two weeks.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yeah, this week.

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

My guess is the PGA and Ryder Cup are his last two events. I'm sure he wasn't thrilled they didn't send him to to the (British) Open.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Man, is golf going to start turning into the NHL as far as coverage being pulled from it all over the country?

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I like Vartan's writing and all, but compared to O'Hara, he's been on scholarship for quite a while.
    Also heard that Fred Girard is leaving too and if that's the case, someone else will have to make much ado about nothing. Sometimes, when you FOIA documents, there is indeed nothing there.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I doubt preps will change at the Freep, either. Mick McCabe is their top prep guy and he knows the area through and through. (No, I'm not Mick, but I have run into and talked to him several times.) :)

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He's not taking the buyout.

11. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Hasn't that already happened?

12. Overrated

Overrated Guest

So, who gets the Lions beat? Does John Niyo move over from the Wings?

Draft saved Draft deleted