1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From Brooklyn, the $5.00 pizza slice......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jul 31, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

According to their site, it's the Q train then like one block away from whatever stop.

Thanks for the info, Ragu.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

he uses three different cheeses. not sure of the shredding. and the sauce is incredibly tasty. as someone note -- perhaps in comments somewhere -- you can really taste all the ingredients.

and i have never, EVER had dom put any topping on the pizza. in many instances, you like a topic to help with the flavor. you'll want nothing but the pure taste of these pies.

now, be forewarned: this is a hole in the wall shack. some might even say it borders on dirty. dom is immaculate about his pizza making. a perfectionist, an artist in every way, right to the fresh basil growing on his window sill.

once you get a seat, bring wet napkins to your table to clean it off. oh, and if you're not ordering a whole pie, buy your slices two at a time. four if you're with your mom. you buy on slice you might have another looong wait until the next pie is ready.

but you're not going for a typical fast-food lunch. everything about difara's -- it's location, parking woes. ambiance -- are all part of the difara experience and charm.

3. imjustagirl

Oh, I LOVE holes in the wall (SHUT UP, QUOTE FUNCTIONERS!) Oen of my favorite places in Richmond was a place that looked like shit but had some GREAT food.

I don't care if I have to wipe off the table if the pizza tastes great. Hell, Grimaldi's ain't that sparkling.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

webster and i are not relations, sir. ;D ;D ;D

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I know an office manager from Scranton who swears by it:

[​IMG]

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Ha, Grimaldi's is a joint, but it's the Four Seasons compared to Di Fara's. Shockey's right. Also, I haven't experienced this the couple of times we went there, but from what I've been told, you have to sometimes be prepared to throw some elbows at the counter if you don't want to stand there for 3 hours getting ignored. At Grimaldi's, be prepared to stand in a long line outside waiting for table; surrounded by European tourists who are just off the red double-decker bus and are snapping pictures.

7. imjustagirl

Huh. I never got Grimaldi's as THAT much of a tourist trap. I mean, it is. But it wasn't like it was a bunch of people in fanny packs and stuff.

Wait, I'm a tourist. Goddammit!

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

my kind of ijag! 8) ;) ;) 8)

9. The Big Ragu

I wouldn't call it a tourist trap, because I like the pizza, so I don't think they are being trapped. But it can be ridiculous, especially during the summer. You see this a lot:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went there with my brother-in-law once, and there were some Asian tourists next to us, and one of them was taking pictures of his pizza with a digital SLR. My brother-in-law gives a subtle nod toward their table so I look and asks me in a whisper, "Why are they photographing their food?"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. imjustagirl

When my mom and I went on a Thursday in April, I think we were 15th in line at 2 p.m.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Grimaldi's rules. I will not argue this.

The one in Brooklyn didn't have a line when I went. I've also been to the one in Hoboken ... didn't have the pizzeria atmosphere Brooklyn had but the same impressive pie is served there, too.

12. The Big Ragu

That's pretty good, IJAG. 2 p.m. and Thursday helps. Weekends at dinner time and you're a dead duck. During the summer, there are pretty much lines from lunch time on of varying lengths. On bad weather days, you can sometimes get in there with no wait. You used to be able to call ahead and pick up or walk-in order and take out. That brick oven churns em out too, so up until a year or so ago, they'd let you just walk past the line, go inside and tell them you'd take the next one out of the oven. Now they make you stand on the line, just to do a take out, which is lame.

Draft saved Draft deleted