1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From Brooklyn, the $5.00 pizza slice......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jul 31, 2009.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And even worse, the Klauh Kalesh guy won't get you a slice from any of them.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No worries. Smasher knows a street vendor in midtown whose squirrel on a stick costs only 99 cents! ;)

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Ragu remembers correctly. I grew up all of 4 blocks from DiFara's and it was my local slice for much of my childhood. We used to call Dominic "the young guy" because there was an older Italian man (a.k.a, "the old man") who worked the oven with him. Now Dominic is 72. I distinctly remember paying 45 cents for one slice and one dollar for two slices and a small soda after school.

I thought that the plain slices were very good (but not better than other top places in the 'hood), but that the Sicilian pizza and the heroes were the best. It is kind of funny that the place now has been adopted by foodies, especially as it is now probably the only place on that stretch Ave. J which isn't kosher.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Ragu or Webster

Any review of Una Pizza Napoletana which just closed and is now becoming a Motorino? The owner of Una Pizza is supposedly heading to SF to open new shops.

6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Didn't I read somewhere where there were like 200 Pizza places in the City with Ray's or some variation thereof in the name?

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Nuts are extra, though.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I didn't say it was good, I said it was there. That's the beauty of NY. You can get a "steak" at Tad's or at Luger's.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I can't picture any slice of pizza being worth $5. Period. No matter how big or how good it is.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

[​IMG]

Not that I didn't eat more than my share during my collegiate tenure.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

POKEY STICKS ARE THE MOST DELICIOUS FOOD EVER.

Draft saved Draft deleted