1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From Brooklyn, the $5.00 pizza slice......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jul 31, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Since "best pizza" is one of those sj. topics that creates as many heated arguments as abortion, the death penalty and texting while driving, I thought I'd post this

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/31/nyregion/31pizza.html?em

It's called Fara Pizza and yup, they charge $5.00 a slice which some people consider to be outrageous.

To Ragu and any of the other sj New Yorkers, have you had it? It it as good as advertised?

The price of a slice has long been one of the city’s unofficial economic indicators, and the increase at Di Fara has led to intense analysis among New Yorkers about what, exactly, it indicates: a deepening recession, an easing of the recession, rising inflation, savvy marketing, price gouging, or commodity prices on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange?

Some of the comments are sj. worthy in their vitriol but this one made me laugh

i'm sure it's a gourmet slice, but i believe there's a fundamental law of economics (taught in all top universities) that states that the price of a slice should be the same as that of a single fare on the nyc subway.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I go to a place where a slice is like $6, but totally worth it. The slices are so big I can barely finish one (I think the whole pies are 28 inches across), loaded with really good sausage and cheeses and veggies. In that scenario, very reasonable.

But your average slice of pepperoni at a walk-in place in NYC? It would have to be pretty damned good, and big enough to be a meal on its own.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Actually, Webster is the guy to ask about Di Fara's. That is his old territory, if I remember correctly.

Yeah, it is a really good slice of pizza. It's just off the beaten path for most people. But Di Fara's has such a reputation for possibly being the best slice around that people will make the trip out there. Not me, but it's just a matter of taste/convenience. It's less the $5 (now that I read that) than it is heading there for that pizza. But it is really, really good.

My favorite by-the-slice place in NY is the Famous Ray's on 6th Ave. & 11th Street. Every pizza place in Manhattan calls itself Rays, but this is really the original one. And it's unreal, but you have to like a ridiculously cheesy slice to appreciate it. Second favorite is probably Famous Joe's on Carmine Street, also in the village, near Bleeker Street. It's more of a classic NY slice, thin crust, not oozing with cheese. I'd put Di Fara's after them, but I have eaten way more Famous Ray's and Famous Joe's, so take it for what it is worth.

Sit-down pizza? I'd put Grimaldi's in Brooklyn and Lombardi's on Spring Street one and two. Take your pick.

This is a topic I am very passionate about, too, as a few people here know. I don't eat much pizza anymore, but just thinking about it is driving me nuts.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

You can get whatever you want in any price range. There's a 99-cent slice place right next to the Grand Hyatt.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I can never keep it straight between Ray's, Original Ray's, Famous Ray's, Original Famous Ray's, Famous Original Ray's, No Seriously This Is The Actual Ray's ... you need a guide book to sort it all out.

6. The Big Ragu

Don't know the place, realistically I can bet with certainty that the cheese they are putting on that thing is made out 2 parts silly putty to 1 part cheese. Even a mediocre slice (cheese so so, nothing special in the sauce/crust) is $2.50 or $2.75 in NYC nowadays in most places.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

To me $5.00 ain't an outrageous amount for a slice of pizza if it's really first rate with fresh ingredients.

I was more surprised at some of the comments--as if $5.00 was practically grand theft.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My favorite is Sutton Pizza on 1st between 62nd and 63rd. Mostly because it's next door to where my friend lives, and it's convenient. But also because it's really good.

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I think I know the place you are talking about.

10. The Big Ragu

It sucks. And it's why a lot of tourists don't know that the place on 6th Ave. is different than the Rays on every other block. It really is a ridiculously sinful slice of pizza.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

12. The Big Ragu

Draft saved Draft deleted