1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From a straw I sip, with a big, fat lip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Apr 24, 2009.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The feeling is finally starting to return after a biopsy to remove a spot on my lower lip earlier today. And it hurts like hell. I've taken the darvocet, but it really hasn't had time to help. So, I'm in some pretty severe pain for now. The right front 25 percent of my lower jaw -- teeth included -- is freaking killing me.

I went a couple of weeks ago for a check-up and cleaning when the dentist noticed a black spot a little bigger than a pencil eraser on my bottom lip. He asked me about it, and I told him the story of how it happened: Several years ago, on one of those Army camping trips, I ran into a tree branch and split my lower lip, about halfway from the center to the corner. Just a little split. No big deal, but it didn't heal right, because I was busy and didn't have time to clean it up properly. When it did heal, it healed with blood (and dirt, presumably) behind it, leaving the aforementioned black spot. The blood had basically tattooed my lip.

Today's experience was pretty shitty overall, my pain notwithstanding.

First, he jabs a needle into my lower lip to deaden it, of course.

A few minutes later, he took out his scalpel, and began to slice my lip. Of course, it wasn't completely numb, so I felt him slice my lip like a fucking block of cheese. After another round of local anesthetic, the lip was sufficiently numb.

It was about this time that I realized my ENTIRE BODY was tensed. There wasn't a relaxed muscle in my body, save my poor, defenseless lip.

And I began to sweat.

Fortunately, by the time I realized what was happening, the slicing and dicing was done, and he was starting to stitch me up.

When he asked if I was doing OK, I have him a shaky, clammy, "Yeah." Thankfully, he didn't buy it and made me lie back and had his nurse jam some oxygen up my nose and toss an cold compress on my forehead.

It was only then that I realized that if I closed my eyes, wouldn't be able to see the knife, needles, pliers and stitching tools. And, a few tugs later, the whole process was over. No blood (well, a little), no mess (other than my nerves), and three stitches.

Shit, if I'd thought about it, I could've just used the 12-pack-of-Coors-and-bottle-of-peroxide-method.

I'd probably be passed out and pain-free!

Any other oral-maxillofacial stories out there?

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Don't let this guy near the pills. Stan's trying to get him to cut back :D

[​IMG]

I had a tonsilar abcess drained last year. Worst pain of my life. I swear mouth stuff hurts worse.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm with both of you. I can stand most things a doctor has to do to me, but I hate getting my mouth messed with. Something about having another mammal poke around inside my mouth just triggers my fight-flight response, and I end up being full body sore for two days from tensing my muscles the entire time, just like you, three_bags.

My last dentist finally figured it out and just numbed my entire mouth, even for routine cleanings. Seemed to help.

Enjoy the darvocet and feel better soon, Bags.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Darvocet's pretty strong stuff, isn't it?

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Not in terms of actually killing pain ...<blockquote>On January 30, 2009, it was reported that the FDA was conducting a hearing to determine the safeness of dextropropoxyphene. According to reports, it was found in the bodies of 25% of people in Florida who died drug related deaths. An FDA panel voted to recommend that dextropropoxyphene be removed from the market, based on its weak pain killing abilities, addictiveness, association with drug deaths and possible heart problems, including arrhythmia.

<b>Black Box Warning</b>

Dextropropoxyphane carries a Black Box Warning in the U.S., the strongest warning given by the FDA. The black box warning for Dextropropoxyphene warns that:

<blockquote> Propoxyphene should be used with extreme caution, if at all, in patients who have a history of substance/drug/alcohol abuse, depression with suicidal tendency, or who already take medications that cause drowsiness (e.g., antidepressants, muscle relaxants, pain relievers, sedatives, tranquilizers). Fatalities have occurred in such patients when propoxyphene was misused.<a href="http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-4998-Darvocet-N+100+Oral.aspx?drugid=4998&drugname=Darvocet-N+100+Oral#precautions">Drug Information for Darvocet-N 100 Oral - Web MD</a></blockquote></blockquote>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dextropropoxyphene#United_States

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Dilatid (sp?) is the one I'm thinking of, I guess. They gave my mom that stuff when she was in excruciating pain and she was out within a minute.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I got oxy for my wisdom teeth and my abcess last year (it was a terrible year for my mouth). It knocked me on my ass and I slept through the pain.

8. three_bags_full

Well, it's damn-sure working for me. At about 1:30, the pain was almost unbearable. Much, much better now.

I think the worst part of the whole thing was actually seeing him moving toward my mouth with the scalpel, needles and stitches.

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

Dentists suck.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

That stuff is like a pain-relieving atom bomb. I had a back injury a few months ago and was in the worst pain of my life for hours before getting through the ER maze. They gave me a shot of that stuff and it was like an instant miracle. Knocked me on my ass, too.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Ya, my mom had to be taken to the ER after complications following open-heart surgery and for an hour-plus, nothing they gave here relieved the pain — until they gave her dilatid. I swear, it worked so fast and so well, I thought they gave her too much and killed her.

12. three_bags_full

Hurting, again. Bumped it with spoon. Fuckity fuck. More dope.

Draft saved Draft deleted