1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

from a notre dame fanboy site

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by noodles, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

If I am not mistaken, Ara ripped the bejeezus out of this guy in a post that has now been deleted.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think it's all Notre Dame fans that want to blow their brains out right now, Cadet. Let's face it. Notre Dame is 0-5, so the fanboys are looking for someone either to blame or to attack in a pathetic attempt to deflect the heat. Might as well go after the evil media.

And yes, I am biased. I don't like Weiss. I don't like how he operates. And I don't like Notre Dame. The Irish only returned to national prominence because they compromised their ideals and allowed Lou Holtz to do things his way for a few years. That means relaxing academic standards for recruits. And that doesn't even get into hiring Holtz away from Minnesota. Wasn't that program busted for recruiting violations committed during his time there?

Think this guy's head will implode if Notre Dame fails to win a game?

Edit: Thanks for pointing that out, Lester. I did not see that post.

3. IU90

IU90 Member

Where is it written that one can't be a member of a profession if they ever criticize it or express disrespect toward it? One of my best friends is a lawyer who claims to hate the legal profession, but that doesn't mean he's not a lawyer.

I'd agree from the article's tone and that J-school crack that this guy likely does not have a conventional Journalism background & degree, but there's no rule that you need one to be a journalist. Many here are declaring he's no journalist because they were pissed off on an emotional and defensive level by the tone of the piece, but they've pointed to nothing specific in its content to back that up.

And the piece itself was not excessively fanboyish. It wasn't even about Notre Dame at all. It was a rather scathing attack on today's sportsjournalism world, with some points that are undoubtedly valid and some not as fair. But all were legitimate opinions.

4. Lester Bangs

You are right. The guy's not a bad writer and we do not have a governing body that gives out licenses or what have you, but we do have some standards that are reasonable to apply. If, in his current employment, he meets all (or even most of) the standards of the SPJ's Code of Ethics, he's cool with me.

But if he butchers the overline -- "Seek Truth and Report it" -- we've got problems. So, if Johnny Fanboy here were to stumble upon Charlie Threechins giving Jimmy Clausen a briefcase full of cash, would he report it?

He can write his fanboy stuff, but he'll leave the serious journalism to those of us with "breast implants."

5. araparseghian

araparseghian New Member

I just don't think it's fair to generalize that, on the Notre Dame beat, that because the rest of the nation is polarized regarding the university, then the people who cover the team for Rivals and Scout, etc., etc., must fall into that category. One Rivals guy doubles as the free-lance beat guy for the Daily Herald in Arlington Heights. The other doubles as the Indy Star's beat guy. Not exactly shitrags, right?

And I don't think O'Leary's column was Notre Dame fanboyish. More in the LeBatard vein of beign the anti-media media member, the contrarian who is "down" with the athletes and coaches.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Would a ND fanboy site really be writing this if the Fighting Irish were 5-0, 4-1 or even 3-2? Highly unlikely. These sites are going to do anything to deflect attention from any bad news that happens to strike their subject. It's part of the business model.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

There's a reason you're working for the Blue and Gold Ryan ... and not because you're a ND fanboy. It's because you, well, suck.

And since he brought up Bobby Reid and Gundy, I'm still waiting for someone to come up with any part of Carlson's column that was in error. So far, I haven't heard of the paper printing a correction.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

For the record (and no, I'm certainly not O'Leary):
    http://www.blueandgold.com/blueandgold/staff/
    Carry on...

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And by the way, the exchange between Paul Johnson and the local scribe showed that Johnson's a bigger idiot than Gundy. To tell the writer "I don't go to McDonald's and tell [fans] how to do their job," was asinine. There's a good chance the fan in question was a retired Rear Admiral who could have Johnson's ass.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

He worked for a suburban Boston daily.

11. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

As someone who has written both for a team site and several mainstream newspapers, I can say that Sock Puppet's statement was not true of my experience. Never was I told what to write, or how to write. I can't speak for every team site, just the one I worked for.

It was very frustrating to me to be referred to as a "house organ" by other reporters. I'd read their stuff in the paper, and usually the individuals in question would have so much puff and fluff in their pieces it made me sick. I can honestly say that I always approached my work in the same manner, regardless of the outlet I worked for. My goal was always to be objective, analytical and factual.

12. Lester Bangs

Could you have broken a story about, say, Mike Holmgren soliciting gay sex in an airport bathroom stall?

Draft saved Draft deleted