1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FROM 2012 INTO 2013 POLITICS THREAD

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Re: THE 2012 POLITICS THREAD

So, what speech should the government comment on? Should we set up an agency to review all films? Art? Books? Newspaper editorials?

Do we only comment on films if people riot as a result of them?

Why don't we comment on the Book of Mormon, the Master, the Scientology episode of South Park?

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I can see that. I'm not really sure where I stand totally. I can see an argument that the government should act, within the law, to try to protect soldiers and others serving their country abroad. Making a request like this can fall in that realm. But I can see where it can easily cross a line.

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Slippery slope arguments are no arguments at all. Suggesting that the government comment on something that makes world news and puts U.S. lives at risk doesn't lead to anything other than suggesting the government comment on things that put U.S. lives at risk.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I just do not see any way that Mitt Romney can win the presidency. Sure, he will win around 20 states because some places are going to vote Republican no matter who the candidate is. (Same true in other places for Democrats.)

But more than a year into his campaign, it's still hard to define what Romney stands for. His position on too many issues is too vague. Add to that the fact so many people can't relate to him on a personal level.

Frankly, I'm really surprised the Republicans didn't select a different candidate. When asked what people liked about Romney the leading answer seemed to be "He's better than Obama". True, Rick Santorum or Newt Gingrich or Rick Perry or Herman Cain would have gotten beaten even more decisively. But Romney can't seem to offer anything voters can latch onto.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

We don't we drop bombs in Luxembourg that collaterally kill innocent women and children? Because The Taliban ain't there.

C'mon now. I think we all know the play is here.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I've written this before, no one agrees, and that's OK: An Obama victory is great business the Republican Party.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Alma,

Care to explain?

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Short version:

Governing is hard. Criticizing is easy and lucrative.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

And the question of outrage over who and how and what the US condemns as a matter of 'free speech' seems to have a lot to do with whose ox is being gored.

www.haaretz.com/news/u-s-house-backs-resolution-to-condemn-goldstone-gaza-report-1.4853

www.laht.com/article.asp?ArticleId=326964&CategoryId=10717

10. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Pretty tame so far.

Just wait until that motherf#$%er Starman and that Nancy Boy old_tony show up.

;D :D

Substitute "coaching", "playing (sports)", "acting", "Playing music", "teaching," "lawyering", etc. in for "governing," and it still rings just as true.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not the Republican party itself. The Republican mouthpieces, talking heads, and Fox News? Sure.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty huge business for the RNC, as well.

Easier to frighten people and raise lots of money when the opposition has its hand on the throttle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.