1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FROM 2012 INTO 2013 POLITICS THREAD

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If that won't make Doc come back and post, nothing will.

I love how folks point to one former AP political reporter who isn't a liberal shill, and offer that as proof of diversity among the media.

Read the article. It does offer both sides. Not many folks out there have even tried to do that.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Why would you want Doc to come back? That always leads to a sure padlock on
    the thread.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's pretty well-balanced. I don't know, if you're an independent thinker, if it's particularly devastating.

What the online age has shown -- and what it will continue to show until we've all calmed the fuck down a little on the Internet -- is that it's a lot harder to govern, regardless of party, when there are folks dedicated daily to blasting out a message on Web sites, twitter, facebook, email, reddit, message boards, anywhere to support their cause. Everyone's a source. Everyone's a spy. Everyone's clamoring about the world ending, the presidency collapsing, you name it.

I'm against military action in Syria, personally. But Reagan agreed to military decisions in the 1980s that would make one's head spin today. The 1980s were the last, true "great" decade for the CIA until a short period after 9/11, and because folks are numbskulls to history, it's forgotten. Those things couldn't have been done today.

The next prez, whoever he/she is, for whichever party, had better have a team of folks who work only on understanding what's being said in online media, and they had better formulate a friendly strategy to deal with it.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

There's no money in balance. Most political Web sites have such a pathetic business model that they're forced to be slaves to imbalance.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I was just about to say the same thing. It's not "devastating," though it certainly tries to be in the lede.

But, hold on! In the third graf:

If I were still in the business, any news story that had a sentence like this, or any reference to "the score," would be spiked on first sight.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I read the Fournier piece and much like he said, it is far easier to catalog what he thinks is the worst.

You'll also note the use of an unnamed source to bash the Syria plan, for balance or something.

Fournier also makes the critical error of trying to play all the sides as being reasonable.

A fair chunk of the Republican delegation is simply opposed to Obama, no matter what. It is good for their business as they play to their base, raise tons of money and keep an even kookier person from running against them in the primary.

As for the Politico headline writers, it would just be easier to go schoolyard and call Obama a pussy and be done with it.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Was Lhota the subway kitten killer on the front of the Post a few weeks ago?

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That's just what the liberal Machine wants you to think.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I just wanted to type "subway kitten killer".

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

To show how lopsided the electorate is in NYC, Lhota won the Republican primary, with 52% of the vote, yet he received less votes than Anthony Weiner, who came in fifth place in the Democrat primary, with less than 5% of the vote.

If you look at the electoral map, there are a bunch districts -- look in upper Manhattan and the Bronx -- where there were a handful, or fewer, Republican primary voters, including a number with no voters.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Maybe they should build a National Park there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.