1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frisco Thunder's Junior Journalism Program

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by daytonadan1983, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Kudos to you then, Dan.

But if your GM or owner told you to kill it, you'd kill it.

And there are many instances where things like that have happened, so - again - there's a pretty clear difference at play here.

2. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

If we had that type of situation...

I'd sent out an official statement as promptly as possible. And it would be posted on the web site as an official statement. Depending on the situation, there'd be a coverage story on how the incident affects the team.

If we tried to kill the story or ignore it, we'd be insulting the audience and putting our credibility at risk as well. Agree?

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Do agree. To be honest, I don't doubt in the slightest that you'd actually follow through. You do seem committed to doing this the "right way," which is a positive.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

"Coverage" on a team- or league-owned web site isn't "coverage" at all. It's "public relations."

No. And it won't.

The league that you're in is the key issue here. Think about it. How many people care about the Intense Football League? Now, how many people care about the National Football League? The one that most people care about gets the attention. The one that's not on the radar? Bupkis.

5. daytonadan1983

Bupkis? Didn't he play for the Bears?

We're simply trying to build an audience in a market with potential. In 3 months, my e-mail subscriber list has grown to 1,500, we averaged 2,000 a game attendance. It takes time.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yes, and you're using PR and marketing tools and techniques to do it. But please don't twist that up as being the same thing as coverage by independent media.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I applaud your efforts at engaging local high school kids. I do hope you are teaching them the difference between what you're doing -- public relations -- and journalism.

And I've never even heard of the Intense Football League before this thread, so y'all must not be doing that good a job of relating to the public.

8. daytonadan1983

Well, I've never heard of you Cadet until this post, so we're even... Just kidding.

Point taken. I have some challenges ahead of me and I'm going to try to get it done one way or another.

So let me get this straight: We're not practicing sports journalism, we're practicing sports public relations using sports writing and sports broadcasting techniques. Is that right?

9. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Emphasis on "techniques."

Draft saved Draft deleted