1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frisco, Colo. sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Elmwood44, May 11, 2011.

1. Elmwood44

Elmwood44 New Member

The Summit Daily News in Frisco, Colo. is seeking a sports & rec writer interested in covering it all. From preps and ski racing to mountain biking, fishing and the many outdoor activities offered in our community, we need a sports writer who can get out there in it and report on all that's going on in our extremely active community. You'll have some editing and layout duties on our one-person sports desk and a flexible schedule as you cover what you can in person and work with others to collect information. You should have at least a few years of sports reporting experience and some knowledge of Quark and Photoshop, as well as page design. Ability to ski or snowboard (or to learn quickly) is an essential job function.

Send resume and clips to Alex Miller, managing editor, at amiller@summitdaily.com.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1253863

I'm just curious as to why "ability to ski or snowboard is an essential job function." Yea, you are going to be living in the mountains, but is the newsroom on some isolated mountain that you can only get to via skis or snowboards?

2. effinyorks

effinyorks New Member

No, but you might cover an event that requires use of skis or a board.

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I looked at the paper's website and there's a good amount of skiiing and nature sports, especially fishing, it appears. So I can see why at least knowing how to ski is important.

4. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

This a daily free publication that I read pretty much everyday. This position was open when I first moved to Summit County four years ago - almost applied then but said the heck w it since the reason I moved was to get out of the industry.

Anyhow - they cover one high school, no colleges or pro teams are on the beat despite Denver being only an hour and change from Denver. All wire.

If you want more info on the paper just PM me .

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

No reason for a daily up in the mountains to staff college and pro sports 90 minutes away. It's a mountain outpost and you probably need three roommates to afford a place that isn't a shack in the forest.

6. Madhavok

True, I was just saying for those not familiar with the area or curious if there was a major beat. Also, there are no 'shacks in the forest' out here. Well there are, but they run about $2-3M for a few bedrooms.

Summit High School would be the local school. It has a new field for rugby, football, and soccer.

Also, I feel slot of the ski races and the such are written w info from phone calls and there are a lot of reader submitted photos.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

My sister-in-law lives up there. Don't know how she affords it.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Owned by Swift Communications, which is ... not the best in the world, let's say.

9. Madhavok

Nice, I live in Breckenridge and somehow our landlord doesn't care too much about making a huge profit off of us - and I'm in a very nice townhome - go figure.

I have no idea how some people manage living here with rent averaging around 550-600 on average for a what seems like a closet.

Beautiful area tho, paradise basically

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Definitely pricey, and it's hard to beat for scenery and anything outdoorsy.

11. mwsportswriter

mwsportswriter New Member

Is this a morning or afternoon publication?

12. effinyorks

effinyorks New Member

Morning.

Draft saved Draft deleted