1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Friendly reminder...Major League is on Versus

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by UPChip, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

One of the movie's biggest plot holes, on a couple of fronts. If the Indians are 60-61 when they find out about Rachel Phelps' plan, and then Lou Brown says it's going to take 30-something (I forget how many exactly; I'm sure someone can fill it in), that means they went at least 30-10 in August and September and STILL barely caught the Yankees? How badass did that Yankees bunch have to be? At .500, at that point of the season, the Indians couldn't have been more than 10 or so games out, right?

And on the other front, why didn't Phelps release a few guys or send them to the minors for "seasoning" once they started heating up? She probably couldn't have traded them since it was after the deadline, but there were still a lot of ways she could have torpedoed that team down the stretch.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

How much fun would it have been to be the Indians beat writer for the Plain Dealer that season?
    I bet Lou Brown was a fuckin' quote machine.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think they needed 32 of their last 41 to win. That would have been 92 wins. Remember that it was only a two-division league back then, and 92 wins did win an AL division title 9 times from 1969 to 1987, (excluding strike years of '72 and '81). ('87 Twins, '86 Angels, '85 Royals, '84 Royals, '79 Angels, '78 Royals, '76 Royals, '74 Orioles and '74 A's).

Oh, and my favorite scene from Major League: In the bouncing propeller plane, when Vaughn says, "There aren't any stewardesses." And Hayes responds, "I wonder if they're any pilots?"

And then Dorn, who is wearing a sleeping mask, sits up, looks around to the front of the plane with the mask on, then lays back to sleep. For some reason, that always cracks me up.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

One of the things I didn't catch until like the 10th viewing are some of the Uecker gags in the play-by-play, particularly with regards to Harris.

"Vaseline ball, grounded to short."

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

"Driven towards Central America. Tomlinson will need a visa to catch that one."

6. Baron Scicluna

"Vaughn, a juvenile delinquent in the offseason, is making his major league debut."

7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Is it the sequel where Ueck says "He's gonna need a rocket up his ass to catch that one."

8. Chip, I believe he was talking about Tomlinson again, and I think that was in the first, but I could be wrong about that. I didn't pay as much attention to the sequal, as I did the first one. and rightfully so. Speaking of plot holes . . . if Taylor's big plan all along was to place a bunt and have WMH steal third base, why didn't hayes break for third on the brushback pitch, which I'm guessing wasn't in Taylor's plan? Never mind, I am overthinking this, huh? :)

9. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Uecker is even better in Major League 2 ... if you watch, he starts out the season all chipper and drinking a bottle of water during the broadcast, and then as the team tanks he steps up to beer and then to the hard stuff, and when he's completely sloshed, he's at his best:

http://new.wavlist.com/movies/315/ml2-kamikaze.wav

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

I like the third Major League movie. That Carlos Lister is a mean looking mother.

11. Baron Scicluna

Uecker was the best part of Major League 2. The rest of the movie was so-so. And don't get me started on the plot hole that Vaughn suddenly had this girlfriend who worked as a social worker. Where did she come from?

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

"Haywood's a convicted felon, isn't he Monty?"

Draft saved Draft deleted