1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Friend in a bad spot

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, May 24, 2008.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Just Facebook chatted with a friend in Iraq. She's a medical officer, like me, and is doing well. Her husband is a chemical officer, and isn't having as easy a time as she is. They're in the same brigade and are lucky to be able to share a room and see each other sparingly.

As a chemical officer, there's not much for him to do -- no chemical threat, right? So, he's been assigned the platoon leader of an infantry platoon. Talk about out of your comfort zone? JFC.

Well, about two weeks ago, she was sitting in a radio room and heard his platoon -- his vehicle -- hit by a buried IED. Through all the shouting over the radio, no one could ascertain his status. She said she vomited and had to leave the room.

Turns out he was OK, just a few bruises. Another solider in his platoon wasn't so lucky.

I can't imagine what she was going through.

2. jps

jps Active Member

Prayers going out, my friend ... brother just finished his second tour not too long ago. So I know quite a lot of what's going on over there -- there are lots of good things happening for the country, but also some equally awful things happening to people.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Jesus, TBF. And my heart sinks as I ask, but the other soldier? He didn't make it?

4. three_bags_full

No. Blood loss.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Prayers for them, and the family of the soldier who died.

I have one friend who did two tours, and a close family member who will be returning for a second tour (he's also a Gulf War vet.)

Just breaks my heart when I hear these things.

6. three_bags_full

This is her second trip -- first as an officer -- and his first.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Wow. Thoughts to your friend and her husband.

I can't imagine how I'd feel.

Draft saved Draft deleted