1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Friedman: 9/11 has made us stupid

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/30/opinion/30friedman.html

Worth a read. Friedman does say, albiet briefly, that his own reaction to 9/11 contributed to help knock America out of balance. The column, in my opinion, feels kind of tame, but he does make a good point. Regardless of whom you vote for, at some point we need someone to lead us out of our bunker, to start looking forward again, even if it's simply from an economic standpoint.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I emailed this to my father - a 77-year-old veteran baffled by our behavior in the world - first thing this morning.

3. Double Down

It's sort of an interesting world we live in, where the country's most influential columnist cites a story from The Onion to make a point about intellectual honesty. But I guess satire, dating back to Homer, Shakespeare and Swift, has always in some respects been the best kind of truth.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I think for Friedman here the Onion citation may have allowed him a soft angle of attack on his own complicity in the war drumming.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I like Friedman -- I've always liked Friedman -- but if he wants his credibility back, it's going to take more than a literally subordinate apology.

It's going to take a genuine maximum mea culpa.

That said, I don't disagree with the line of reasoning in the column.

6. The living fucking definition of a day late and a dollar short from the man who told Charlie Rose that the Iraq war was going to be worth it because we were going to tell Muslims "Suck on this."
    What's going to happen in six months now, foof?

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

It's nice how he didn't write a column about how he met some forward-thinking cabbie in Iran, which makes him believe the entire country is now progressive.

8. wild_will

wild_will New Member

Premise to new book, anyone?

9. Jesus, newb', I think you may have hit the jackpot with your third post.
    Cold Leinie's, please.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'll even supply the title:

How I Sold My Soul

By Tom Friedman

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Thirty Pieces Of Silver, Baby, And I Earned Every Penny Of It

by Tom F.

12. Double Down

The World May Be Flat, But My Mustache and This Administration Are Crooked (Great, now they tell me!)

By Thomas Friedman

Draft saved Draft deleted