1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fridge Gets His Ring Back

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Heartwarming but strange story about a 10 year old buying Perry's ring from memorabilia collection then giving it to Perry.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=6290024

2. printdust

printdust New Member

Some rich Bears fan needs to reimburse this kid. Shit, I don't know that I'd advise my son to do that with the object containing his college savings. I don't think I'd let him buy the ring in the first place. But as far as the kid goes, it's as close to sacrificial giving as I've seen in a while.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's a sweet story, but the kid's mother is an idiot for letting him spend his money on this.

4. Boom_70

Seems like something is missing from this story through no fault of the writer.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I saw Perry's ring at the Pro Football Hall of Fame last fall. Size 23.

Can't be the same one? Or did the kid get it from the HOF?

6. Boom_70

Story said the kid bought this one from Mickey Mantles memrobilia store which is within the restaurant.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I somehow doubt the validity of this story.
    How many kids do you know with that kind of cash sitting in savings?

8. How is the fault not partly on the writer? The story made very little sense. What 10-year-old has access to $8,500 to spend on something he was initially told was off-limits? Or anything? Even if it's in an account or trust fund, who does a 10-year-old call or how does he get to the ATM to get this money? What does this family do for a living that their son can decide he wants and can buy some expensive piece of memorabilia? Did the parents finally relent, letting their son get what he wanted instead of keeping the money in a college fund?

These are questions the writer should've asked, because it's a massive hole in the story. Oh, because he once liked baseball cards, five years ago -- when he was 5? I read it several times, and it never added up. That's on the reporter.

If he asked and the mom was evasive, he should've written as much. It's a fine tale, but the reporting was lacking here.

9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Well why let the obvious questions get in the way of a good story?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought the same thing. It's a great story, but how that parent let her kid buy that ring is beyond me.

11. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

And maybe the writer could have, I don't know, maybe talked to Perry? If Perry couldn't be contacted or didn't want to talk, add a line saying that. But at least make an attempt.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Probably more than you think.

Cash in their savings that their parents would let them touch for anything other than college? Almost none.

Draft saved Draft deleted