1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Friday's roundup

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RickStain, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Maybe he's a photog
    Who do you mean by they? Newspaper Execs? Bloggers? Pundits?

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Charlatans who act like the content's the problem to cover for their bosses who just want to dump costs, pump out an imitation of a newspaper for as long as they can and then dump the whole fucking thing and buy into something else.

3. thestatman

thestatman Member

Nope, not a photog... shutter as a verb means "to close or close down." Which, in hindsight, works just fine with how all these jobs and papers are going recently.

Guess I should have used quiver or some other gripping verb. Sorry, but driving 160 miles, writing a gamer on deadline, then driving back within a five hour stretch kind of kills my grammar skills... just a tad.

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Nope, I agree, shutter worked just fine. Unfortunately. I figured it was either intentional or a Freudian slip.

5. thestatman

thestatman Member

Would have loved for that to have been a Freudian slip, but I can't take credit for that.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You only write about us when we lay people off!

7. thestatman

thestatman Member

I assume that was directed towards me... considering I've been in the business since July, that's really all I know (Yeah, I know, should have picked a different profession). I read most of the threads to gain knowledge of what is going on in the industry, but I really can't comment because in hindsight, I still don't have much to add. Just so happens, I had something to add to this one that wasn't on there.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Dude. Chill. "You only write about us ..." is a long-running meme here.

As is, "Fetch me a beer, newbie." ;)
    Sounds like you could use one too.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

When a business shuts down, it doesn't lay people off. It simply shuts down. A layoff suggests the business is still alive and functioning. Big difference.

10. The No. 7

The No. 7 Member

Sacramento has more layoffs in the works, as well as wage cuts:

http://www.sacbee.com/breaking/story/1660500.html

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Why don't we just shut down or furlough the whole damn industry and be done with it already?

12. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Waseca County (Minn.) News goes from twice a week to weekly:

http://www.keyc.com/node/18317

County News Becomes Weekly | February 27, 2009 at 3:02pm

Many companies that advertise have cut back due to the current recession.That's having a ripple effect on one local newspaper.Waseca County News announced on its website and in its latest edition that they will drop from two issues per week down to one.Employees of the paper site lack of advertising revenue.The paper also says it hopes to have a larger edition when the weekly makes its debut next Wednesday.It added that the subscription prices will be reduced and current in-county subscriptions will be adjusted accordingly.Waseca County News also says it will be expanding its online edition after seeing a 246 percent growth of viewers from January 2008 to January 2009.

Draft saved Draft deleted