1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Friday's roundup

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RickStain, Feb 27, 2009.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Here's what I came up with from various sources:

Today's roundup:
    American Society of Newspaper Editors cancels its annual convention, says it can't justify asking people to spend the money
    Boston Herald cuts 20 jobs
    Lakeland (Fla.) Ledger announced it is offering buyouts, but not how many they expect to accept
    The daily newspaper in Portage La Praire, Manitoba is cutting out its monday edition and firing the entire pressroom.
    Wilmington, N.C. daily paper will printing its own paper and lay off the entire pressroom
    Times-Union of Albany, N.Y. announced unspecified number of layoffs, but will cut operating budget "20%" through these layoffs, so guess maybe 20% of 453 employees.
    Memphis' daily newspaper announced 18 layoffs
    Providence (RI) Journal laid off 74
    Buffalo (NY) news announces laying off 52

2. jps

jps Active Member

ugh

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Forgot one:

[​IMG]

:-\ :mad: :'(

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Big one to miss.

Got a source on the Buffalo News number? The buyout deadline isn't until March 6.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

If these numbers hold up, that's 256 jobs. :-\

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=64536&provider=gnews

I guess that's just a "may have to layoff 52," but I've never known a 'may' to not pan out.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Terre Haute fired its publisher on Thursday.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link, Rick. That's what I get for not watching the local news tonight. I knew there was a big meeting with the Guild officers coming up, but was pretty sure they hadn't had time to act on it yet.

(Of course, Scripps just showed us that it only takes 12 hours to kill a newspaper ...)

But last I knew, they have a no-layoff clause. Wonder how that works?

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Someone should Twitter this shit!

10. thestatman

thestatman Member

Just heard today that two small 3,000 circulation Media General newspapers, the Reidsville Review and Eden Daily News (both located in Rockingham County, N.C.), are being shrunk from 5 days a week to two days a week at the end of March.

Which makes this news all the more heartwarming since the cuts take place after the mandatory four furlough days in March that MG is requiring its employees to take. Sounds like some are going to get royally screwed, especially if layoffs follow since fewer people will be needed to produce the product.

I shutter to think what could be next.

11. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

That was no typo, was it?

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's going to save the fucking industry! that's what they've told us! And they never lie.

Draft saved Draft deleted