1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Friday night press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by I Digress, Sep 26, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I third what Steak said.

Covered a Thursday night game an hour from the office last season and asked the home team's head coach if I could go in his office to send my story.

He had no problem with it at all. I just wish the laptop hadn't screwed up three times that night as I was typing. Lost everything three times, and we missed deadline by 40 minutes.

2. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Go back and take longer next time.

3. jps

jps Active Member

if you haven't been locked in a stadium, you haven't been doing this long enough. I think I've been locked into probably a half-dozen or so. some at home, some during playoffs and once at a pro stadium. once actually was forced into the fence climb only to get to my car and realize that there was a locked gate to get out of/into the parking lot as well ... luckily found a little security shed with a phone number on it.

4. maybe i file too quickly. but on a friday night, if i'm filing from the site and i'm skittish on how long i have, i'm writing that story asap.

5. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

What kills me about stories like this is that the damn thing is called a PRESS box. Seemingly, that would mean it's for the press' needs.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

I've had to climb a fence.

7. jps

jps Active Member

fixed.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

I actually got pulled over on my way home from that trip, which led to me getting my license suspended for too many tickets.

9. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I would have climbed the fence. Who cares? I've never been locked in a stadium before because I've never been treated with such disregard. Seriously. I spent part of the 1980s in locker rooms. Editor has been notified. Asshat AD deserves no more of my time.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Upper deck him

11. Smartwriter

Smartwriter Member

Trying to throw me out of the press box? That's a paddlin'.
    [​IMG]

12. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Possibly the greatest newbie post of all-time.

And, the award for least surprising revelation of the day goes to...

Draft saved Draft deleted