1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Friday Night Lights"--the TV Series??

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, May 15, 2006.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If there aren't 100 dead flies, a bunch of unwelcome hangers-on, and the scent of popcorn-ass in the press box, I ain't buying its realism.

I will buy the realism if coach and players alike spout non-stop coach-speak. With 15 percent of the team thanking God for helping them succeed.

2. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

NBC's target audience is viewers ages 18 to 49.  Just going for viewers 18 to 34 wouldn't figure to work.

Incidentally, "Friday Night Lights'' is NBC's second drama about a small-town Texas high school football team. "Against the Grain," whose cast included a young Ben Affleck as quarterback Joe Willie Clemons, ran briefly during the 1993-94 season.

3. pho-real

pho-real Member

As a person who has played his final high school football season this year, I would like people to get to know the pressures that go on to win. Playing football in high school is very hard. You'd come to school at 7:30 a.m. and leave school at 6:30 p.m. Not to mention summer training and football camp. Especially when your school is expected to be great.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

No "Boobie" on network TV?

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Lots of kids get those pressures and stay at school for those hours who don't play football. If you want to mention the hours, talk to a hockey player sometime.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I have had some parents tell me that high school swimmers work very hard and get noticed very seldom for it.

7. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

As do cheerleaders ... and wrestlers ... and volleyball ... and softball ... and well any damn thing happening at the school.

8. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I thought there would be interest here in a review of  "Friday Night Lights" from The Futon Critic.  Its URL is http://www.thefutoncritic.com/rant.aspx?id=20060607

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

That lack of attention is costing them scholarships, you know.

10. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

1st and 10 was on HBO and didn't have much of either. Although watching Delta Burke balloon between seasons 1-3 was pretty entertaining.

And I'm surprised no one's hired O.J. has a GM yet  ;D

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

The reviewer certainly seems to have a big boner over the show.

Of course, he had to make reference to "the ever-present local media circling the team like vultures."

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

After reading this I doubt the reviewer knew of the existence of the book

Draft saved Draft deleted