1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Friday Night Lights, Season 2

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Oct 1, 2007.

1. chazp

chazp Active Member

I'll second that. Adrianne Palicki is fantastic as well.

2. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I think the Landry storyline is going to ruin the show. Just unnecessary and loses the show's realism. He could have even hit the guy and then called the police or something, but to get rid of the body? Who would do that? Not the Landry we've gotten to know in the first season.

Also, why did they just happen to stop the car on that bridge? I might have to watch it again, but it seemed like Landry was asking where the hospital was then they just all of a sudden stopped on the bridge, happened to get out and then realize that there was a river running under it that the could drop the body into.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was surprised Landry was wearing a number in the 80s. Hell, if the stalker story line keeps the show on the air, I don't give a damn. Anybody know how the ratings were? It should kill Moonlight, that show sucks.

4. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

My read was that Landry thought Tyra was driving to the hospital and wanted to call the cops, but Tyra didn't want to do that. When she stopped on the bridge, Landry still didn't want to do it that way, but Tyra convinced him. ... sort of.

She's exactly the kind of girl who would do that. She knows people just see her as a sex pot and future barmaid, assumed the police wouldn't believe her about what happened, and thought the only option was to chuck it in the river, Sopranos style. She's never had faith in the system or anyone, because her mother has always let her down.

The tragic part of this character arc is that Landry is the kind of guy she can count on.

5. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

I'm with Landry on the football team: He's just watched the dumby he's tutoring, Riggins, get every girl he wants -- including Tyra -- because he's on the team.

I'm not with the stalker/murder part, and like others, I hope it continues to stay in the background as much as possible, though how is that possible?

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Thinking off the top of my head about this murder development ... we know it will come out eventually. But does Landry get football player treatment on the punishment, or no? And do they make a big story line outta that?

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I am certain there will be a game where Landry is either the biggest hero or the biggest goat. Blocked field goal?

8. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

as for all the folks yelling it's coming close to jumping the shark... if you want to do that -- and i love the show, don't get me wrong -- there were plenty of moments in season 1 that i thought did that (even disregarding the fact they won every game at the gun) -- such as building a field for the semifinals? riggins' getting with the uber-milf, street going from injured to best wheel-chair rugby player in the world not to make the team in the course of a single football season. willing suspension of disbelief, people

and, seeing how tyra kicked the guys ass when he tried to rape her the first time, doesn't surprise me he followed up. also, considering the way she was treated when she reported the rape the first time, doesn't surprise me she has no use for the system

that said, i'm with you on the landry being the biggest goat/hero angle, dan

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

This show might have damned itself with its own greatness the last four episodes of last season.

Yes, they were cheesy. And completely unbelievable. But they were SOOO damn good, it's going to be hard to match up, and that's when you're going to start to notice the cheesy and unbelievable.

But I'll still be watching.

10. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I figured Landry was wearing a number in the 80s because wide receiver is the position you can stash kids who want to be on the team, deserve to be on the team, but cannot play on the team. At some point, he'll be depended on, Saracen will get angry at him for sucking and the two's relationship will be tested.

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

fwiw, if you don't have season 1 on dvd, it's on sale at best buy for $15. well worth that price

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm so there. Actually, I'll probably pay $20 at Target, but what the hell.

Draft saved Draft deleted