1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Friday Night Lights, Season 2

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Oct 1, 2007.

1. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

And the thing with those two characters, it would be perfectly logical to keep them around Dillon without them being in high school. Neither really seemed on the college track.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

amen, brother.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

That's what I said. And I agree with the point about everyone turning into fifth-year seniors.

Lyla's got another wild streak in her; that's how those religious chicks are ... especially the hot ones.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Riggins, Saracen and Smash were all juniors last season. They said so early last season.

I agree with whoever said that Landry's reaction didn't feel right.

5. IU90

IU90 Member

Really, I thought Riggins was a senior last year. Like most others here, it appears.

And I'll agree with the herd that Landry's conversion to a player is hard to buy and a compromise of the character's original purpose. However, on behalf of less-than-uber-cool male high schoolers everywhere (notice my evasion of the words geek or nerd) who once lusted after the high school sex goddess, I do hope he nails Tyra and nails her hard this year. If the show's writers want to stray from the bounds of realism, that's the place to do it, IMO.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I remember early last year -- before the first QB got paralyzed, so it probably had to be the first episode -- they were drinking and talking and Riggins told the QB that he would go off to college and Riggins would play one more year. Saracen, of course, was a junior, and I think they said Smash was, too.

I could be wrong, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am.

7. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

I believe Saracen was a sophomore last year, wasn't he?
    As for Landry's football-playing exploits, I thought they made clear last night that he wasn't very good. Maybe he doesn't make the team?

8. danhawks

danhawks Member

Yeah, I have to agree about the Landry thing...that kid is smart enough to call 911 and explain what happened while they were at the scene, the parking lot. Once they moved the body, anything could happen.

Lila becoming born-again was great. I have to say this show has done a lot to educate me about Texas religion. Last year I (would classify myself as agnostic, for sure) was dating and in love with a "spiritual" liberal Christian from Dallas. After lots of Matt Albie-esque discussions, we broke up for good. I have to say, without FNL, I never would have been able to understand how much of a "thing" religion is in Texas, even if it is just a TV show. The idea of walking around, every minute, every day, feeling like there is an interfering God out there was completely foreign to me until I saw the first season of the show.

That said, I'm madly in love with Connie Britton.

And, to the point that Tyra is the girl that you want to take out and bang behind the bleachers, sure, she is...but that's the key part of her character...she knows she's sex on a stick, and she seems to be genuine about trying to not turn out to be a stripper or a waitress. We'll see what happens. I'll be watching.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

hey, back off connie britton. i've had dibs since "the brothers mcmullen." what a woman. 8) 8) 8)

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You're right, Irish. Soph on Saracen.

11. BRoth

BRoth Member

The whole killing the stalker thing was a little too much. I had read that they're going to go a little heavier on the soap opera storylines, but that seems overboard compared to what was last year.

That being said, I can definitely see Landry trying out for the football team. If anything, it'll give them some good scenes with humor. I'm not giving up on the show by any means, but I really hope they don't blow it trying to attract female teenage viewers.

12. Giggity

Giggity Member

Landry trying out for the football team: Awesome.

Landry covering up the murder of his girlfriend's attempted rapist: Not awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted