1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Friday Night Lights, Season 2

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Oct 1, 2007.

1. The show is incredible ... Great acting, especially Kyle Chandler.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Really, they could show Lyla doing anything to any music, and I'd be totally fine with it. Flossing her teeth to Enya, checking her email to Billy Ray Cyrus, whatever. Good lord that girl is astonishing to look at.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Friday Night Lights on a Friday ... what a concept ... except I agree, let's wait till after Week 1 of the playoffs at least and 3/4 of the teams are done.

Explosions In The Sky are the FNL soundtrack band, bar none.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Exactly. Good stuff outta that group.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I've heard from a couple people now, and read about it in Nancy Franklin's review in the New Yorker, that there is a big soap operatic twist and the end of the season premiere that will make you completely doubt the direction of the show. I believe Franklin's comment was something along the lines of, "If this is indicitive of what has to be done to keep the show on the air, then maybe it should have died a poetic death after one season."

So that has me worried, Muzzle of Bees or no.

6. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I read the same thing, though not sure if it was in the same place. Might have been Alan Sepinwall saying it may have been better for the show to leave a beautiful corpse. I haven't been able to watch the premier on my computer for some reason, but I have a bad feeling about this season. Put it this way, I'm not going to recommend anyone to watch it as I did last season because I have a feeling it may not be the same show.

As much I liked the show, I could have lived with last season's finale as the final ep, if it's going to turn into a typical high school soap. Still think that Chandler and Britton's acting will keep it watchable.

As for everyone who thought it was so important for the show to be on Friday nights just because it has the word Friday in the title, I think it'll hurt the already shaky ratings. I know Tivo has made things like this obsolete, but I just can't imagine a lot of people staying in on a Friday night to watch this, particularly when you consider a good amount of the target audience is probably playing/attending their own Friday night lights at the time it's on.

7. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Here's that NY'er review. Interesting take, but nothing really new to fans of FNL. "Oh, gosh, you mean it's not really about football?"

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/television/2007/10/08/071008crte_television_franklin

I, too, really hope they don't "kill" this show to save it. Better to let it go out great than turn into every other teenage soap opera. Perhaps its burial on Friday nights will ease the pressure to create "event" episodes every couple of weeks. A blessing in disguise?

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah ... I can see what she's saying. That particular storyline did need resolving, but I think too they could have forgotten about it and everyone would have just let it die. I think they're trying to find a way to make a particular character look tougher than he did last season.

9. ChrisLittmann

ChrisLittmann Member

Surprised after last season's long thread about the show that there isn't more talk about tonight's episode. Maybe it's a Friday night thing. I'd seen the first episode on Yahoo like many others, and while I was initially concerned about the big twist, the rest of the show is just too damn good to get overly worked up about it. Really interested to see how they work in Coach T throughout the season.

Also, if anyone saw The Kingdom, how much did you feel like you were watching FNL: Saudi Arabia or something? Peter Berg was a producer, and Minka Kelly and Kyle Chandler both appeared in the first few minutes! Even the way it was shot, with silent, close-up moments with a great soundtrack felt like an FNL episode.

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

liked the premiere. i'm too lazy to read the review so assume the twist was the landry/tyra uh, thing, that happened? (i'm trying to avoid spoilers because the thread doesn't say it contains spoilers).i guess i could see that turning into something stupid but the rest of the show is just too good.

11. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Yeah, wasn't wild about "the twist," and I hope it somehow doesn't become too big a thing. But the rest of the show is still right on. And, man, new coach seems like an ass (though he had a point in that talk with Street)

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Shitfuck!

Can anyone -- without posting spoilers -- tell me if there will be a replay?

I forgot to set the DVR...

Draft saved Draft deleted