1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

friday night lights premiere

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

My one thought with this is that it wasn't neccesarily just a small town TV reporter, My guess is that it was a bigger Texas network – obviously NBC – coming out and profiling/following the "top rated" program in the nation. That is my only thought on the journalism being way overboard – They made rference on the call-in show once or twice about having the TV Network followig the new coach around like he's Mack Brown or something.

2. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

That's a pretty good point, hadn't looked at it like that. I still have to question how much longevity this show can have, but now I'll watch next week with a different perspective. Granted it was the pilot, but there needs to be a major upgrade in character development. So far I don't think Smash's strongsuit is going to be subtlety.

3. Sly

Sly Active Member

Whichever TV critic said this was the best pilot he's ever seen should be fired by the newspaper/organization he or she works for. Just got done watching the pilot and I can't tell you how bad it was. Like "that's an hour of my life I'll never get back" bad.

Four discussion points:

1) For a show like this to work, you have to have a dynamic coach so we'll keep tuning in. Instead we get a Ron Livingston-knockoff who isn't remotely interesting.

2) The camerawork was awful. Keep the damn thing still. Even had I actually liked the story, I would have found it hard to be a regular watcher because of the seasickness.

3) Ok, we get it. High school football is really big in Texas. Bigger than the rest of the country could possibly know. Here's my question, though: Are the high school football fans a little more self-aware of how silly the whole thing is? Or is is full-speed ahead as always?

4) Let us get to know a character before you break his neck. That seems pretty obvious, but not for the creators of this show.

Awful. Just awful.

4. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Liked it but did not love it ... did not remotely live up to NYT review except in production values (in that regard it might have been directed by Antonioni, it was up there with L'Avventura).

YHS, etc

5. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I had no idea Peter Berg of "Chicago Hope" fame directed the movie and now the series.

I was wondering why I hadn't seen him in anything since "Collateral." Looks like he's moved behind the camera.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

About 20 minutes in, I told Mrs. Mediaguy that yes, the coach is the guy who blew up on Grey's Anatomy last season.

MC, glad you noticed how a player can somehow get behind an entire defense on the last play of a game. I'm not asking Rockne to be a consultant, but c'mon!

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Happened to my Edmonton Eskimos this season, so it could happen iin a high school game.

8. Anybody see the numbers? Show pulled a 7.1 and got crushed by Dancing with the Stars.

9. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

There was an article in the WaPo about it -- it was the worst premiere of any show, I think.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

not for nuthin', but it was going against yanks-tigers, game 1 -- where a lot of potential viewers were. dancing with the stars has a female-driven audience.

i hope.

11. Sly

Sly Active Member

Good. Hopefully it'll be gone by Halloween.

12. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

Perhaps, but five yards from the line of scrimmage?

Draft saved Draft deleted