1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Friday Night Lights - NBC run

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CUinthenewsroom, Jan 17, 2009.

1. highlander

highlander Member

Yes just be a teenager and not pushing him all the time to be a record-setting quarterback.

2. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Hence the resentment. Maybe he'll get so pissed he'll quit playing and Matt will keep his job. But I think JD will get regular playing time at some point. Maybe soon, so we can see more of angst-ridden Matt.

3. So did anyone else tear up while saying goodbye to The Smash last night. Great, great episode, made me realize why I love this show so darn much.

Smash BLOGS! about the ep: http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/02/gaius-charles.html

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One of the things that has bugged me about the show is that there weren't that many scenes with Smash and other players off the field. They were mostly with his family. Nice to see it end on a good note.

5. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Yes. And I'm not ashamed to admit it. Loved him going to Coach Taylor's house to thank him, and I love the way he has grown up. Said it before, I love the new humbled Smash, although I didn't dislike the arrogant side of him.

Have to wonder, though, what the odds are that a college coach would just let some kid jump into full-contact drills. Maybe it happens, I really don't know, but I'd think liability issues would preclude that from happening. It didn't take anything away from the show, just sayin.

I hate Tyra's new beau and the way she stood Landry up. Not a big fan of Landry, but he didn't deserve that! That whole deal with Tyra/Mindy and their boyfriends is bugging me a little bit. And are Tyra and Lyla friends now, or are they just tolerating each other? Weird.

I'm glad that Matt's mom came back into the picture and that she's doing it the right way. I felt sorry for that kid with all he has on his plate. Maybe that will help him on the field, although I'm not sure how.

And now to the big news ... JD's getting his shot. Does he choke under the pressure, or does Matt?

That's all for now. I think I've gotten a little too invested in this show. :)

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think this is one of my favorite exchanges ever between Eric and Tami:

Tami: Where are you going?

Eric: I need a drink.

Tami: Well, we have a bottle of wine at home.

Eric: I need a scotch-flavored drink.

One of the best episodes ever. I'm not sure there is a better non-verbal actor on television working that Kyle Chandler. He is in Gandolfini's league, as far as I'm concerned. I loved that it ended on the field with friends too, because the episode where Street gives Saracen pointers on how to play QB, late at night while Riggins, Smash, and the two of them are drinking beer, is one of my favorites.

7. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Agreed on Chandler. Just outstanding. That scene at his house when Smash dropped by was one of his best scenes, I thought. But there are many.

8. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

I liked the way Tammy finessed Buddy into hosting a fundraiser at the announcement for the JumboTron. Cool moment. Made her the ultimate winner.

9. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Chandler has always been solid....did anyone but me see a little bit of hate in Saracen's eyes when coach said J.D. would play, too?

Loved the scenes with Smash. I'm pretty sure you can't practice with a college team, but it was a damn solid way to wrap up his character.. I kept thinking about Boobie, or whatever the hell his name was, from the book who got the opposite.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

What a great episode. Perhaps the best of the year. Not going to spoil it for anyone, but they had great bits from just about everyone on the show. Zach Gilford killed - again.

11. Agreed, a very great episode. Hope everyone got to enjoy this one.

12. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Thought it was pretty powerful episode, with Street's girl leaving town, Julie's tattoo, Matt losing his starting job and the Tyra/Cash/Principal Taylor stuff being highlights. A lot of good stuff going on in this episode.
    Man, how stupid is Billy, trying to do business with that a-hole drug dealer that Tim was living with a while back? You just knew that was going to go bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted