1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Friday Night Lights - NBC run

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CUinthenewsroom, Jan 17, 2009.

1. http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/01/friday-night--2.html

Connie Britton blogged about last night's ep.

Overall, I thought it was a good episode. Some typically FNL moments that Connie points out (Smash and his mom, Jules and Matt, etc.).

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Saracen was in. That ball crossed the plane. And what's up with the Dillon secondary? They sucked last night.

I still think they're struggling with the new quarterback storyline. They're playing it like the family just showed up. I guarantee you, if a family moves their son into a school for football's sake they are going to get to know the coach and be quite familiar with his family (esp. if the coach's wife is the principal).

3. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I thought he was in too, but you couldn't tell from the replay. What crappy camera work! Thought it was pretty good episode, though.
    I love the exchanges between Smash and his mom and the way she guides him through the tough times.
    Not too excited about the J.D. storyline, but I'm sure it will get more interesting. I'm not sure what's going to happen, but I can't see how they could blame that loss on Matt. The defense sucks, and Matt ripped off a 30-yard run on the final play to almost win it. I suppose you could argue that was because he didn't have the skills to win it with a pass. I think Coach Taylor is going to fight the urge to stick J.D. in no matter what, just because he hates the parents.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure the McCoy parents will end up leaving Dillon sometime this year. Smash and his mom are GREAT together. For being a starter going into his third year now, Saracen doesn't have that swagger you figure he'd have by now. In general the story lines are way in disarray from the way they used to be handled. It's so sad. But I can't stop watching.

5. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I almost typed that exact same thing, but I figured you'd all tell me that's just his personality, which I guess it is. But he definitely should have more confidence. I know it's tough looking over your shoulder at some hotshot, but it's hard to believe that he'd become a starter in such a big-time program without having any belief in himself.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He won State as a sophomore, had a mediocre Junior year and is looking over his shoulder at the golden boy on the bench for his Senior year.

Outing Alert: Saracen is Kurt Warner

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

With it looking likely that there will be another season, I really hope the JD character gets developed a bit more. The kid is a cipher. I almost feel sorry for him. His parents and his position coach have had more lines this season than he has. And it's not like they have any underclassmen featured. The show needs a loud-mouth Smash like player on defense and at least one other player (maybe a lineman?) to carry over to next year. I think Saracen's lack of swagger never was related to football but to having two parents who don't want anything to do with him.

8. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Yeah, the kid's definitely got a rough life. Wonder how his mom apparently re-entering the picture is going to play out.
    And I loved JD's line about the parents bronzing his first diaper. Wasn't sure if he said it in a resentful way in regard to his parents or if he was just confronting Saracen because of his comments. I took it as the latter, but I sensed a hint of resentment.

9. highlander

highlander Member

I saw the episode on DTV a while back and it seemed to me that JD was embarrassed or just tried of his parents going nuts over everything he did from his birth. I think JD would like to just be one of the guys.

10. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

That's the impression I got, too.

11. highlander

highlander Member

His dad (aka papa Marinovich) won't ever let that happen.

12. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

?
    Let what happen? You mean, letting him be one of the guys?

Draft saved Draft deleted